snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 04 November 2012, 12:52 PM

Frying Pan

Dawn, don't dilly-dally on laundry day! Clothes have to be washed and hung out early now that the days are short. Get off the computer even if it means disturbing two of the cats.
Old 04 November 2012, 10:51 PM

Dear Self,

Look, I know that T's memorial service today wasn't the easiest thing in the world. And I know that L's news about the prostate cancer was kind of a punch in the gut (especially when he made that request a while back at rehearsal for that one song to be sung by the choir at his funeral). . .and the at least a dozen other things like that with loved ones at church can be a bit heart-wrenching. But Self, you're just not keeping this in perspective.

70% of your friends at church are over the age of 60! The congregation probably has a median age of about 55! Stop worrying about when they're all gonna die and enjoy the time you still have with them. They pretty much all talk about how having the more "youthful" families like yours helps keep them feeling young themselves. Quit the pity-party and just enjoy the fact you are part of a small population at that church who is a great big ol' honkin' blessing to the rest of the folks there.

Here endeth the lesson, Self.

Love,
Me.
Old 13 November 2012, 10:43 PM

The weight amount you use on the chest press machine is not the same as the amount you use on the seated row machine. My poor pecs...

On the other hand, I found out I can do a full set of chest presses at 50 pounds when I thought I could only do 25 pounds.
Old 29 November 2012, 04:33 PM

Moose

If you're reading Texts from Dog at your desk and you start laughing, put the coffee DOWN. And stop reading. Hot coffee up the nose and on the desk.
Old 29 November 2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
The weight amount you use on the chest press machine is not the same as the amount you use on the seated row machine. My poor pecs...

On the other hand, I found out I can do a full set of chest presses at 50 pounds when I thought I could only do 25 pounds.
The amount of weight you can do on a chest press machine may not be the amount you can safely do with a barbell. As the very least make sure you have someone around to rescue you if you are pushing your limits with a weight you may not be able to put back on the rack.
Old 29 November 2012, 06:38 PM

Oh, definitely! I only push my strength limits with the machines at this point-- I'm still kind of a noob. Thank you for your concern.
Old 29 November 2012, 06:59 PM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
Oh, definitely! I only push my strength limits with the machines at this point-- I'm still kind of a noob. Thank you for your concern.
I have been there, trapped under a barbell that I was so sure I could lift. I had to roll it down the length of my body - got pretty uncomfortable in a few places.
Old 29 November 2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I have been there, trapped under a barbell that I was so sure I could lift. I had to roll it down the length of my body - got pretty uncomfortable in a few places.
There was an awful case of a boy who died of internal bleeding after doing that with only 185lb. Probably a freak accident, but you're better to try and tip the bar off you, or dump the plates off.
Old 30 November 2012, 01:12 PM

While sleeping 8 hours in the last 60 is endurable, it is not desirable. In no small part because once you do get a chance to crash, you then oversleep your alarm.
Old 30 November 2012, 01:31 PM

You have no reason to be nervous. Your doctor is not going to yell at you for still struggling with depression and anxiety despite taking your meds as prescribed.
Old 30 November 2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass View Post
There was an awful case of a boy who died of internal bleeding after doing that with only 185lb. Probably a freak accident, but you're better to try and tip the bar off you, or dump the plates off.
I have tipped a bar off and slid weights off the end. In the one case, though, the bar was inordinately long and had clamps at the ends, so I could neither tip the bar off or slide the weights off the ends.
Old 30 November 2012, 02:58 PM

Aren't g-you supposed to have a spotter when using free weights?
Old 30 November 2012, 03:18 PM

Exactly what ATNM said 3 posts ago
Old 30 November 2012, 03:23 PM

I missed that, but saw the part where he mentioned getting stuck under a barbell.

A spotter is more than just someone who's in the same room and can help in an emergency, though.
Old 30 November 2012, 03:55 PM

Spotter on bench press is a good idea yes, but not because it's "free weights", just because you have a heavy bar over your face and chest, with no way to extricate yourself without relatively high injury potential. Most other things you can dump by yourself, with a little sense.
Old 30 November 2012, 04:06 PM

A spotter is of course recommended. And yes, it is more than just an available person - I have seen people designate as their 'spotter' someone that could not have moved 1/10 of the weight being lifted. Now hopefully, you just need your spotter to give a little boost, but s/he should be able to largely handle the weight if needed.

I have on occasion been in circumstances where the only weights are free weights and there is no one available. Under those circumstances, I should not have pushed my limits, but there is something about weightlifting that makes one want to challenge oneself.
Old 30 November 2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
While sleeping 8 hours in the last 60 is endurable, it is not desirable. In no small part because once you do get a chance to crash, you then oversleep your alarm.
We are living parallel lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkenray View Post
You have no reason to be nervous. Your doctor is not going to yell at you for still struggling with depression and anxiety despite taking your meds as prescribed.
Nope. S/he is likely to try different meds or find you someone to talk to in addition to the meds.
Old 30 November 2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
So now it's a race?
I'll oversleep you, you'll see!
Old 30 November 2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseGirl View Post
Nope. S/he is likely to try different meds or find you someone to talk to in addition to the meds.
Apparently his wife went into labor, necessitating the cancellation of my appointment. Best of luck to them both, but it does mean I spent a whole day stressing over something that didn't end up happening.
Old 30 November 2012, 09:24 PM

I have an entire, if only single, bed at my disposal, why do I always lie right at the edge of it?

... Yeah, I just fell out of bed. Again.