snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 25 November 2012, 06:21 AM

Vanishing Mysterious Species Are Out There, So Why Not Bigfoot?

If you browse the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization website, for example, you’ll find more excuses than hard evidence. Despite the ubiquity of smartphone cameras and the accessibility of camera traps, there are no clear photographs of the mythical ape.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...yeti_loch.html
Old 27 November 2012, 05:53 PM

Icon102 'Bigfoot' is part human, DNA study claims

Genetic testing confirms the legendary Bigfoot is a human relative that arose some 15,000 years ago -- at least according to a press release issued by a company called DNA Diagnostics detailing supposed work by a Texas veterinarian.

http://news.discovery.com/human/bigf...st-121127.html
Old 28 November 2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Genetic testing confirms the legendary Bigfoot is a human relative that arose some 15,000 years ago -- at least according to a press release issued by a company called DNA Diagnostics detailing supposed work by a Texas veterinarian.

http://news.discovery.com/human/bigf...st-121127.html
That's hilarious. It's also completely typical for them to ignore the really simple and highly likely explanation of sample contamination in favour for their own outlandish theory of Bigfoot mating with human women (why only women????) 15,000 years ago.

I'm reminded of an episode of Finding Bigfoot where the Bigfoot hunter was trying to record Bigfoot calls and he claimed that Bigfoots sometimes disguise their calls by mimicking wolf howls.
Old 28 November 2012, 04:53 AM

As with the claims of the cloned human baby a few years back, I'm not going to bother believing that there even is a sample until someone else gets to take a look at it.
Old 28 November 2012, 06:14 AM

Icon220

This does explain how they are able to maintain their species with such a small number of individuals. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are not hiding in other dimensions but it does offer another possible explanation. And considering the popularity of Robin Williams, we know for a fact that some human women do like the hairy types.
Old 28 November 2012, 02:39 PM

Moose

I can't believe that everybody is missing the obvious. Bigfoot is actually a were-ape. In the same way that a 185 lb man can transform into a 250 lb werewolf, the 8 foot tall sasquatch is the result of a transmogrification of a mild mannered, mid sized human. Every full moon the bigfoots change into their apelike form, drift off into the mountain parks and live like giant primates, picking lice from each others hair, eating shoots and leaves, and almost posing for pictures.

This explains away the need for a large population to survive. That population exists and lives among us. No corpses? Don't be silly. If one is killed it just morphs back into its human form. Shared DNA? Well, duh!. They're actually human most of the time. There, everything is explained. Now can I have my own TV show?
Old 28 November 2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I didn't say that the network thought they were experts, I said the network shills them as if they were experts: they're being promoted as if they have actual experience and training that would qualify them to do the job that they lack.
What actual experience and training would that be?

ETA: Also, of course they're promoted that way. If you're trying to get viewers so that you can sell ad time, you're not going to say "here's some people that like to talk about sasquatches but they're just schnooks who don't really know any more than you do."
Old 28 November 2012, 03:08 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
What actual experience and training would that be?
One of the people on Finding Bigfoot is a qualified field biologist. She's the one who shoots down their dumb theories every episode.
Old 28 November 2012, 03:23 PM

That was kind of what I was thinking: that scientific credentials and belief in sasquatch are likely mutually exclusive, and that "qualifications" that != scientific credentials are (IMO, certainly) meaningless.
Old 30 November 2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLite View Post
Shared DNA? Well, duh!. They're actually human most of the time. There, everything is explained. Now can I have my own TV show?
Own TV show, I don't know, but I'll bet you could sell the theory. It actually does make a kind of sense. Best of all, you can point to the lack of evidence as being proof.

Or, you could think what I'm thinking: a potential theme for some urban fantasy....
Old 30 November 2012, 11:33 PM

I'm pretty sure that already happened in The Dresden Files.
Old 12 December 2012, 09:09 PM

Jaded

Skeptical articles about the recent Bigfoot DNA announcement are starting to roll in and it turns out that people who are familiar with the study of DNA and scientific research in general are less than impressed.

Quote:
Like OMG! Scientists have sequenced Bigfoot DNA !!!!!!

For monster hunters in general, in Bigfoot hunters in particular, there’s big news in the Bigfoot world: A Texas scientist says she has sequenced Bigfoot DNA.

This would be blockbuster news, if true. Emphasis on if true.
http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2012/11...d-bigfoot-dna/

Quote:
‘Science’ Proves Bigfoot Is Real

Texas is no stranger to Bigfoot sightings, but now the elusive creature is making appearances in places other than the Piney Woods—like in a geneticist’s laboratory. A Nacogdoches-based scientist released a statement November 24 claiming to have successfully sequenced Bigfoot’s DNA.

The statement, published by DNA Diagnostics Inc., reports that a team of scientists has concluded a 5-year study that “confirms the existence of a novel hominin hybrid species, commonly called ‘Bigfoot’ or ‘Sasquatch,’ living in North America.” Melba S. Ketchum, PhD., founder of DNA Diagnostics, led the team of “experts in genetics, forensics, imaging and pathology.”

As Bigfoot believers are something of a fringe group, it is perhaps no surprise that Ketchum’s claim is raising big, hairy eyebrows all over the Internet, especially among science enthusiasts.
http://www.tmdailypost.com/article/a...s-bigfoot-real

Apparently the Bigfoot DNA came from a blueberry bagel that a woman called Robin Lynne supplied for testing. I'd like to see the sample DNA cross referenced with Robin's DNA, I have a faint suspicion that there might be a match ...
Old 13 December 2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I'm pretty sure that already happened in The Dresden Files.
You might be right. I'm rereading one of the later books at the moment, in which Harry refers to thinking he met Bigfoot once. "Nice guy."
Old 14 December 2012, 02:11 AM

Actually, I know for certain I'm right- there's three different short stories featuring Bigfoot and his son, Irving, that have been written for various fantasy anthologies. They'll go into the next Dresden Files short story anthology as soon as there's enough stories for the collection to be comparable to Side Jobs, according to Jim Butcher.
Old 29 December 2012, 01:21 AM

Icon05

Breaking Bigfoot news!!! Daisy Is In The Box!! Apparently that's code for some Bigfoot team having captured a live Bigfoot.

However, other sources claim Daisy has been released and all records destroyed due to Geneva convention protocols. Check out all that crazy woo.
Old 29 December 2012, 02:03 AM

Geneva convention protocols? I know it is too much to expect logic from these people, but when has that ever been applied to non-human Great Apes? Even assuming the capture was true (a huge assumption, granted) the Geneva convention would no more apply than it does to the capture of chimps or gorillas.
Old 29 December 2012, 02:08 AM

They captured some dude with a beard, maybe?
Old 29 December 2012, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Geneva convention protocols? I know it is too much to expect logic from these people, but when has that ever been applied to non-human Great Apes? Even assuming the capture was true (a huge assumption, granted) the Geneva convention would no more apply than it does to the capture of chimps or gorillas.
It wouldn't also apply since they are not prisoners of war which is what the Geneva convention actually applies to!
Old 29 December 2012, 02:51 AM

I was thinking that one too, but only after I posted. Then I thought that there are probably other laws regarding the "capture" of humans not in a time of war, so there would still be legal problems, albeit different ones than the one they cite.
Old 29 December 2012, 03:03 AM

I doubt it. The only one I can think of is false arrest or false imprisonment, but I don't think that applies to Bigfoot. I would think that a Bigfoot would be classified similar to a primate (just a different species) and would only get protection if it were recognized as protected or endangered.

But that would be determined by a criminal court.