snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 25 October 2012, 06:56 AM

Icon81 Woman loses breasts while bungee jumping

Comment: Here's one I've heard in the wild.

The myth is that a woman bungee jumped in the nude (perhaps in exchange for a
gratis ride) and due to the sheer size of her bosom, and the forces
involved when the bungee wire retracts, had her breasts ripped clean off.

It was mentioned by Alan Davies in QI series D episode 1 ("Danger"):

(QI is a game show that rewards points to interesting, rather than
factual, stories.)

I don't know what the original source of this one is, but it would be
interesting to find out..

Old 25 October 2012, 07:07 AM

Some common sense debunks this easily. If the forces were of that magnitude, spines would be torn apart on a daily basis in the bungee hobby.
Old 25 October 2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Some common sense debunks this easily. If the forces were of that magnitude, spines would be torn apart on a daily basis in the bungee hobby.
One would think that heads would have more weight than breasts, thus causing them to be ripped off.
Old 25 October 2012, 01:55 PM

As I recall the Alan Davies story- might be a different one, and can't see what your vid is at work, it was more a "strain" of the connective tissue. Running and jumping can certainly provide enough force to be uncomfortable without a decent sports bra, wheras most people's spine and knees wouldn't complain.
Spine, knees etc are held in place by a bunch of muscles and ligaments- what actually does keep breast fat in place apart from skin? (I know there's something, question is what?)
Old 25 October 2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
One would think that heads would have more weight than breasts, thus causing them to be ripped off.
Depends on the breasts and the heads, doesn't it?
Old 25 October 2012, 02:53 PM

She lost them, but found them under the couch with the car keys.
Old 25 October 2012, 03:13 PM

I would believe them being cut (perhaps off) by the bungee wrapping around them in some way prior to the bottom of the jump. I have heard of women with large breasts getting severe cuts in their breast from seatbelts during an accident.

Torn off, just from the acceleration, not so much. The heart would rip off from the aorta with much lesser force, and that isn't happening in these jumps.
Old 25 October 2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass View Post
Running and jumping can certainly provide enough force to be uncomfortable without a decent sports bra ...
I have seen a video clip of a rather well endowed lady running with her breasts swinging freely. My then GF commented something like "Ouch, that must hurt".
Old 26 October 2012, 03:15 AM

From the little research I have done. I look like you might experience up to -3 g-force at the bottom of the jump.

Do think there would be a problem unless someone with very large and very heavy implants were bungee jumping. If they were that big and heavy they would most likely have problems walking down street.
Old 28 October 2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass View Post
Spine, knees etc are held in place by a bunch of muscles and ligaments- what actually does keep breast fat in place apart from skin? (I know there's something, question is what?)
I think the Cooper's ligaments help IIRC.
Old 01 November 2012, 04:19 AM

I never move fast enough to know if my big C/small d cups would hurt when doing so. I can't imagine the story is true and I certainly hope it isn't.
Old 01 November 2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
I think the Cooper's ligaments help IIRC.
Thanks. I wasn't sure what to search for. My work internet search history just keeps getting weirder...
Old 27 November 2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I would believe them being cut (perhaps off) by the bungee wrapping around them in some way prior to the bottom of the jump. I have heard of women with large breasts getting severe cuts in their breast from seatbelts during an accident.

Torn off, just from the acceleration, not so much. The heart would rip off from the aorta with much lesser force, and that isn't happening in these jumps.
I can tell you for a fact that if you are a *large breasted* woman, seatbelts can totally mess up your breast if in an accident. I am at least a DD (leaning towards DDD), and about a year ago I was in a bad car accident while wearing a seat belt. The tissue in my left breast was permamently torn along the perfect line of where the seat belt hit me. Basically theres about a 1 or 1 1/2 inch deep permanent dent in my breast. They said I could have cosmetic surgery to fix it (but chose not to) but because the breasts have a lot of fat, it would probably just break down and have to be *refilled* in the future. Since the accident Ive had several cysts pop up from all the damage done.

I cannot attest to what a bungee cord can do..but I garuntee you..a seatbelt can cause some serious damage to us *blessed* ladies! Mine didn't get ripped off...but it dang sure felt like it did!
Old 27 November 2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs76 View Post
I am at least a DD (leaning towards DDD),
pst silvs, they have E cups.

I am not very sporty, but yeah running or jumping can be uncomfortable...without a good sports bra, but I ran for the bus the other day and but even with just a (good, supportive) bra on, it was ok.

As for bungee jumping, I have no intension to try, but I would imagine wearing a bra would help.

As for doing it in the nude () Doesn't skin stretch quite a bit?
Old 28 November 2012, 12:01 AM

Yes, unless the person has unusually thin skin, which can be caused by a number of conditions and medications.

However, a person who had one of those conditions or was on one of those medications would likely not be considered well enough to engage in an activity like bungee jumping.
Old 28 November 2012, 05:03 AM

I can see it happening if the bungee cord got twisted around her torso during the jump ...
Old 28 November 2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I can see it happening if the bungee cord got twisted around her torso during the jump ...
Yeah I can see it happening if there was some sort of accident like this or they were implants, which are "seperate" from the body, sort off.
Old 28 November 2012, 06:17 PM

Particularly large implants, perhaps. Hmm, getting several implants of increased size, with heavy implants and possible weak places where the incisions were made.

I guess that could, maybe, happen. Still seems unlikely.
Old 29 November 2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs76 View Post
I can tell you for a fact that if you are a *large breasted* woman, seatbelts can totally mess up your breast if in an accident. I am at least a DD (leaning towards DDD), and about a year ago I was in a bad car accident while wearing a seat belt. The tissue in my left breast was permamently torn along the perfect line of where the seat belt hit me. Basically theres about a 1 or 1 1/2 inch deep permanent dent in my breast. They said I could have cosmetic surgery to fix it (but chose not to) but because the breasts have a lot of fat, it would probably just break down and have to be *refilled* in the future. Since the accident Ive had several cysts pop up from all the damage done.

I cannot attest to what a bungee cord can do..but I garuntee you..a seatbelt can cause some serious damage to us *blessed* ladies! Mine didn't get ripped off...but it dang sure felt like it did!
I also meant to say ...ouch silvs, but got sidetracked by the discussion. Hope it going ok now. As if it's not hard enough for us to get button up shirts that fit and good bras.
Old 07 December 2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I also meant to say ...ouch silvs, but got sidetracked by the discussion. Hope it going ok now. As if it's not hard enough for us to get button up shirts that fit and good bras.

Haha, my left twin is doing ok..it's pretty much as healed as it's going to get at this point. The *dent* is permanent, it has filled in some since the accident (a year ago), but they said it will probably never be *normal* shaped again. I NEVER buy button up shirts because I always get that puckering at the WORST place, and don't get me started on bras! I wear granny bra's (if you will), at 28 because I refuse to spend ridiculous amounts of money on a bra that FITS, and looks "sexy"..if my partner don't like it--he doesn't have to look..lol.