snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 19 November 2012, 07:14 AM

Corbis-Bettmann's photo has also been published in other books about dogs and cats, so "Big Dogs, Little Dogs" won't be the sole source of the image.
Old 19 November 2012, 08:46 AM

I'm glad to see it identified as British Police dogs. I haven't seen this thread before but would have guessed at that from the blue panels in the background building. They were part of a building system mch used for schools and police stations in the 60s and 70s, in Scotland at least.
Old 19 November 2012, 09:43 PM

They were used in many schools(public and parochial), YMCAs, and other buildings in the US too. I still know several schools that still have them. I think they were used because it meant half of the walls were glass, which ideally would cut down on the need for lights during the day, and they did but only for a few weeks at the beginning of the school year. After that they were covered with pictures and artwork...
Old 20 November 2012, 08:44 PM

I'm thinking of asking on the GSD forum I am on if anyone has maybe seen that image in an older book or something, that might tell the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I really misunderstood the thread title. I thought the German shepherds were human shepherds from Germany. I asked myself, 'What is unusual about a shepherd watching a cat walk by?'
This may be why the breed is called the German Shepherd Dog, to help avoid that type of confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaemka77 View Post
I don't know if this photo is real, but it could be. I'm a service dog handler (I'm disabled) and he can ignore this level of distraction when working. He'll stay in a sit-stay even if you drop a steak on a floor next to him (and he cares for steaks much more than for cats).
That reminds me of when my BIL visits with his guide dog. I have four cats (used to be more)... Of course the dog is trained to ignore distractions.
One of them likes to lay in front of his dog when he's resting, and roll around on her back.
Here's a photo of this: http://www.chicagocanine.com/photos/...rleymurphy.jpg

My cats have no fear of dogs because they were raised around them, they were orphaned kittens and I raised them from 3 weeks old. Most of the time they treated my dogs like furniture, just ignore them or go around or over them if they get in the way.
Old 21 November 2012, 08:08 AM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
I'm thinking of asking on the GSD forum I am on if anyone has maybe seen that image in an older book or something, that might tell the source.
Did you miss this?
Old 21 November 2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Did you miss this?
I doubt that was missed, but we're looking to see if it is any older books published before the book referenced in the link.
Old 22 November 2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchy View Post
And sometimes the cats find other ways to express themselves. My dog Abby (100 lb. yellow lab) was once playfully sniffing around my kitten Grissom (who was a four-pound baby at the time).
Where I live now, Rex the lab puppy two doors over and the black cat next door have a lovely game where the cat gets up on the fence between them and Rex chases him off. They both think it lovely fun but I am not sure if they relise that the other party knows it is a game.