snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Book Corner

Old 17 November 2012, 11:23 PM

Default Need recommendations for graphic novels

In the last year or so, I've gotten more into graphic novels, but the selection at my library seems somewhat overwhelming. There's a lot of manga, and a lot of DC and Marvel stuff, and a lot of titles and authors and artists I'm not familiar with. I like fantasy, but not superhero stories. I like compelling, emotional story arcs rather than lots of action. I'm not really into zombies or post-apocalyptic worlds. I've also discovered that I'm not really a fan of manga. In general I don't like the artistic style, and I have yet to read a manga storyline that got me emotionally involved with the characters.

Here are some graphic novels and series I've read that I do like:

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman
Fables by Bill Willingham
Blankets by Craig Thompson
Ghost World by Daniel Clowes
Stitches by David Small
Flight (Anthology) by Kazu Kibuishi was a good introduction to various artists and writers in this medium, some of whom I liked more than others.

So, any recommendations? Someone suggested Alan Moore's Watchmen, but I found it boring and just couldn't get into it.
Old 17 November 2012, 11:37 PM

You might like Alan Moore's "From Hell" or "The League of Extraordinary Gentleman" more then "Watchmen" It's less... superheroey for lack of a better term.

"Maus" would be a nice one to checkout as well.

Getting into the established DC and Marvel universes is daunting due to the absolute cluster$#@! of continuity, reboots, and alternate universes. I love them dearly and there is a lot of good stuff in them, but there are simply not accessible.
Old 17 November 2012, 11:40 PM

Ursula Vernon's Digger won the Hugo award this year for best graphic story. Readable online, but it's available in books too.
Old 17 November 2012, 11:52 PM

"Tricked" by Alex Robinson

"Love and Rockets" by Gilbert and Jaime Hernandez - it's a very long-running series, and you can either start at the beginning or jump into the more recent comics. I strongly recommend the anthologies "Maggie the Mechanic" and "Heartbreak Soup."

"David Boring" by Daniel Clowes

"The Silence of Our Friends" by Nate Long, Jim Demonakos, and Nate Powell
Old 18 November 2012, 12:18 AM

Don't know if you're into urban fantasy and werewolf stuff, but Patrica Briggs has a few graphic novels for her Mercy Thompson/Alpha & Omega setting. Haven't personally read any of them so I don't know how good they are, but it is something to look into.

If you like funny stuff, Nodwick is a decent fantasy series. The author is currently putting the entire printed comic book up on his site here with the comic starting here.

If you read it online, it'll probably seem a bit disjointed since it's a mix of strips from Dragon Magazine, original stuff for the web, and the Nodwick print comic that ran until 2006 or so. Some of the humor might be kind of obscure if you're not a D&D fan, but most of it shouldn't be. I'll wrack my brain and see if I can think of any other good fantasy comic book/graphic novel titles.
Old 18 November 2012, 12:41 AM

Hello Kitty

Promethea by Alan Moore. It's a little superhero-y, but much more mythological and magic based. It is also the kind of graphic novel that only gets published if you are Alan Moore.
Old 18 November 2012, 02:44 AM

Another quite good autobiographical one is Persepolis. I'll have to look into some of the other ones mentioned here, I have not read very many graphic novels/comics, but I was recently thinking that I might do more. Of course, we have Sandman on the shelf and I haven't read it, so that'll keep me busy for a while.
Old 18 November 2012, 02:52 AM

Vampires & Witches: Kim Harrison's 'Blood' graphic novels. They tell the beginning of her Rachel Morgan series.
Old 19 November 2012, 09:10 AM

Reading

Road to Perdition. I thought the movie was just OK but I loved the graphic novel.

Brian
Old 19 November 2012, 11:24 AM

I second Thing 1's suggestion of Persepolis. A gripping true story.
Old 19 November 2012, 02:54 PM

Glasses

Cervus, may I suggest you look up the book reviews at Unshelved? They review a lot of graphic novels. The link takes you to last Friday's page of reviews, but they're all reachable from there.

Seaboe
Old 19 November 2012, 03:52 PM

GRR Martin's first two Dunk and Egg novellas are also done as graphic novels. I haven't read them but I liked the original novellas they were based on. They're set earlier in the Game of Thrones universe before the Targs slipped into full-blown dysfunctionality. The second novella, "Sworn Sword", is best read right before Dance with Dragons since some of its info about the Targaryen civil war provides backstory for the novel.
Old 19 November 2012, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. My library has some of these, so I'll check them out (no pun intended).
Old 19 November 2012, 07:45 PM

I saw this article today and though of you. I've not read it but it looks intriguing.
http://www.npr.org/2012/11/19/164358...sexy-detective
Pterrifying Pterodactyl Meets Sexy Detective
Old 24 November 2012, 11:51 AM

A third recommendation for Persepolis.

(All the other recommendations that I've read are good too - Maus, From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

I can't recommend these because I've not read them, but the Costa book awards here have shortlisted two graphic novels which have attracted attention and look interesting - Days of the Bagnold Summer by Joff Winterhart, and Dotter of Her Father's Eyes by Mary Talbot, illustrated by Bryan Talbot (about the daughter of James Joyce). Some reviews and articles below:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...rs?INTCMP=SRCH

This one mentions some other acclaimed graphic novels of the past:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...ze?INTCMP=SRCH
Old 25 November 2012, 02:37 AM

I'd suggest C.J. Cherryh's Gate of Ivrel as drawn by Jane Fancher.
Old 25 November 2012, 01:59 PM

Oh, and this one's a little different, but there is a beautiful graphic novel of the Last Unicorn, which I think could be enjoyed whether or not you'd read the novel.
Old 26 November 2012, 11:06 AM

I recommend the Hellboy series by Mike Mignola.