snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 16 November 2012, 11:11 PM

Default Things you shouldn't have to tell people

Yes every solicitor that still comes to my door that big "No Soliciting" notice at the front entrance to the apartment complex does apply to you.

I wonder if I can legally charge people with trespassing if I'm just a tenant and not the landowner.
Old 17 November 2012, 12:16 AM

Jelly doughnuts and elementary school children who wear uniforms are not a good mix.
Old 17 November 2012, 02:14 AM

Listen I get that people from my generation especially just lurrrve to develop some carefully crafted cynicism. Hell I'm more guilty of this then most.

But here's the thing... if you project the image of thinking the world is a piece of crap and everyone in it is an idiot... you can't then turn around and practically in the same breathe expect a lot out of it.

If you're a cynic you can't complain that you can't find a date or that all music sucks or whatever. Why? Because those things are other people, the thing you're already on record as dismissing.

TL;DR version... you can't declare the world as screwed up and then demand a percentage of it's screwedupedness.

I'm actually not downing cynicism as a personal philosophy, it's as valid as most other personal philosophies at the end of the day, but it does carry with it a degree of independence. Cynicism without the independence is just whining.
Old 17 November 2012, 02:55 AM

Relating to that the idea that if you are captain bringdown all the time don't be surprised if some people don't want to hang out with you. Most people are at least a little cynical, and there is nothing wrong with blowing off steam from time to time, but if it's not modulated it's gonna irritate people.

We all have problems, deal.
Old 17 November 2012, 04:07 AM

Joe, find out what the laws are regarding door to door solicitors in your city. In Austin, they are supposed to have a permit. They are also supposed to only knock between 9am to 9pm. If they knock before or after, the police want us to call 911. We've had a lot of trouble with " salesmen" checking out garages and back yards when they didn't think anyone was looking, so our neighborhood has gotten extremely tough on this.
Old 17 November 2012, 02:37 PM

FYI, the Jehovah's Witnesses have, on more than one occasion, successfully challenged local ordinances requiring them to get solicitation permits (although the Supreme Court has held up laws restricting the hours of solicitation).

The Mormons are less litigious, IME, but are probably happy to ride along on the JWs' coattails.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be annoyed by proselytizers at your door, just that calling the cops on them won't necessarily help.
Old 17 November 2012, 08:57 PM

I don't have an awful lot of experience in this, but I feel that the giggly "your girlfriend is phoning!" stuff belongs to schoolchildren and not to adults. I just phoned a friend, who is the brother of a man who I know well and intimately, and had a hard time speaking to the person I wanted to speak to without comment about the person I'm seeing being in the room as well. It makes me feel like it's embarrassing to both me and him as it makes me look like I'm phoning for nefarious purposes (I was actually doing a favour to my friend) and makes him look like 'oooh, you have an overly attached girlfriend!" (giggle, giggle), which puts him on the spot too.

I do understand, as to my friend it's his little brother who he wants to embarrass, but his dad did it too, which embarrassed me. And it embarrasses me as I'm not his girlfriend, which makes me feel a bit of a minx. I just wanted to ask about a blow up bed! Why should that be problematic?
Old 20 November 2012, 04:22 PM

When you leave work, try to make sure that the person who takes over your workplace doesn't have to correct your mistakes. Yes, I'm talking to you, the idiot who put the wrong labels on every bin of the sorting machine I had to use this morning !
Old 20 November 2012, 04:44 PM

I know the legacy system used SSNs as account numbers, so you had to use them when reporting issues. But the new system you just converted to uses account numbers, so please use them instead.
Old 20 November 2012, 04:59 PM

Dog

A puppy without a tag on its collar is not much better off than a puppy without a collar at all. Found a waif and stray this morning. So cute! I had to call animal control to come and get him before I softened.
Old 20 November 2012, 10:29 PM

If you don't want people walking on your lawn, don't block the sidewalk with your car.
Old 20 November 2012, 11:31 PM

While it is (arguably) bad that your employees stop using your preferred greeting* the moment you leave the store, it is definitely bad to stand around in the middle of the store with another manager loudly discussing this transgression (or really any employee issue) in front of customers.

* I thought the way she greeted me when I entered was unecessarily long and stilted, and was not really surprised to hear that other employees reverted to a simpler hello or "welcome" when she wasn't around. She also followed me into an aisle and was what I would refer to as falsely, aggressively, friendly, so I already wasn't fond of her before she started the tirade.
Old 20 November 2012, 11:34 PM

I've always wondered if some study somewhere has shown that customers actually like being longwindedly "greeted" by employees and whether sales actually rise when an employee follows someone around the store. Because honestly that kind of behavior chases me away.
Old 20 November 2012, 11:39 PM

I'm pretty sure things like that are the result of poor management, thinking their job is micromanagement. I definitely could tell from my short time in the store that having her there is not doing the store any good. Hopefully someone figures that out before she chases all the good employees and customers away.
Old 21 November 2012, 12:15 AM

Icon605

The amount of money your card or bank will let you borrow and the amount of money you should be borrowing are two completely different things.
Old 21 November 2012, 03:20 AM

Just because you feel a real tree for Christmas is important does not mean that everyone shares your view or that anyone's holidays are ruined by the use of an artificial tree. Silly me, I feel it's more important that my family members be healthy over the holidays & not end up in the ER from allergy flare-ups.
I sincerely hope no one in your life ever has severe tree allergies because I'm sure you would let them know that they have ruined the holiday.
Old 21 November 2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I've always wondered if some study somewhere has shown that customers actually like being longwindedly "greeted" by employees and whether sales actually rise when an employee follows someone around the store. Because honestly that kind of behavior chases me away.
I wonder the same thing about sales pitches when someone answers the phone. I generally limit things to "Thank You for calling S Mart, how can I help you?". But it drives me nuts when I call and get "Thank you for calling Try-N-Save, where you can reserve your copy of Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge today for the special pre-order price of $28.99, due out this Tuesday! All the hottest games are here at the Try-N-Save! How can I direct your call today?". Especially since I am generally not interested in whatever they're pitching. Fortunately the internet has meant I seldom have to call a store anymore, but sometimes you have to.
Old 21 November 2012, 04:34 AM

Whalephant

If you are going out shopping on Black Friday, do not have a hissy fit and complain about lots of people, long lines for the registers and anything else that is associated with Black Friday. That's what Black Friday is.
Old 21 November 2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
She also followed me into an aisle and was what I would refer to as falsely, aggressively, friendly, so I already wasn't fond of her before she started the tirade.
I might be really odd for this, but I really don't like it when store employees go out of their way to address you when you're shopping or browsing. I often go out of my way to avoid store employees if I see them. I usually know exactly what I want, and when I don't, I like to mull things over on my own. Also, I often seem to be better at remembering where things are located in stores than the employees are. I guess this comes down to being extremely introverted, and being one of those people who would rather try things on my own first before asking for help.
Old 21 November 2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Can't speak about sales rising because customers are followed or observed, but in some retail situations, perhaps maybe locations is more correct, many stores, especially smaller grocery stores, have aisle monitors to watch for shop lifting.

This was very much the case in many of the grocery stores in the Philippines. It becomes a standing joke with my asawa, when she goes back to the Philippines, to be followed in the stores.

We have a Filipino store here in Kuwait, two aisles, and they usually have someone "watching." Asawa and I will split up, one on each aisle, so they aren't sure who to follow - me, the "cano," her, Fil-Am.
Closed Thread