snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 13 November 2012, 02:23 PM

1. What comedian was born with the Hungarian-in-origin last name of Szekely?

Louis C.K

2. In 48 of the 50 U.S. states, governors serve terms of how many years?

Four.

3. What novel ends with the line, "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again, but already it was impossible to say which was which"?

4. Berlin's Neues Museum holds the famous limestone bust of what woman, born about 1370 BC, whose name appropriately meant "beauty has come"?

Nefertiti.

5. What character earns the Sanrio Co., Ltd. half of its $1 billion annual revenue?

Going to guess Hello Kitty.

6. What NFL team lost Super Bowl I, won Super Bowl IV, and hasn't been back since?

I want to say that's the Green Bay Packers.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these baseball players? Wade Boggs, Rick Burleson, Ron Cey, Frank Crosetti, Andre Dawson, Ralph Garr, Rich Gossage, Joe Medwick, Phil Regan, Tris Speaker.

I know a few of them do, so I'm going to guess they all have bird-related nicknames.
Old 13 November 2012, 03:11 PM

Canada

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these baseball players? Wade Boggs, Rick Burleson, Ron Cey, Frank Crosetti, Andre Dawson, Ralph Garr, Rich Gossage, Joe Medwick, Phil Regan, Tris Speaker.

To add to this one...Rich Gossage was "Goose". Wade Boggs was famous for eating chicken before every game, but I don't recall a specific nickname - "Chicken Man?" I suppose it'd be too easy if the list included Mark "The Bird" Fidrych..
Old 13 November 2012, 03:41 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What comedian was born with the Hungarian-in-origin last name of Szekely?

Bob Newhart
Quote:
2. In 48 of the 50 U.S. states, governors serve terms of how many years?
Quote:
3. What novel ends with the line, "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again, but already it was impossible to say which was which"?

Animal Farm
Quote:
4. Berlin's Neues Museum holds the famous limestone bust of what woman, born about 1370 BC, whose name appropriately meant "beauty has come"?

Nefertiti
Quote:
5. What character earns the Sanrio Co., Ltd. half of its $1 billion annual revenue?

Sonic the Hedgehog
Quote:
6. What NFL team lost Super Bowl I, won Super Bowl IV, and hasn't been back since?

NY Jets
Quote:

Can't even think of anything funny.

Seaboe
Old 13 November 2012, 07:36 PM

1. Red Skelton
2. 6
3. Animal Farm
4. Nefertiti
5. No idea
6. The Boston Red Sox

I am confident in two of the four that are whited out. Not fair having two sports questions, but that only happened because of our Question 7 offset, and can't be blamed on poor, overworked Mr. Jennings.
Old 13 November 2012, 11:03 PM

Glasses

I like your answer to #6, Spam. And your answer to #1 is probably better than mine.

Seaboe
Old 14 November 2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I like your answer to #6, Spam. And your answer to #1 is probably better than mine.

Seaboe
#1 felt right, but then I saw some one else's answer and realized I was probably a few decades out of date, as usual.

I might be wrong on #6.
Old 17 November 2012, 02:19 AM
quijote57

Interesting that #s 6 & 7 are questions about football and baseball, as my favorite NFL team is the Kansas City Chiefs, which are becoming the Chicago Cubs of football. I hope they at least get to the Super Bowl before long! As for the Cubs, there's always next year.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:10 PM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What comedian was born with the Hungarian-in-origin last name of Szekely? The "C.K." in "Louis C.K." is short for "Szekely."

2. In 48 of the 50 U.S. states, governors serve terms of how many years? Four, just like the president, except they're like the president of Nebraska or whatever. No launch codes.

3. What novel ends with the line, "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again, but already it was impossible to say which was which"? That's the end of Animal Farm, in which the more-equal-than-other pigs become so evil that they start wearing pants and stuff.

4. Berlin's Neues Museum holds the famous limestone bust of what woman, born about 1370 BC, whose name appropriately meant "beauty has come"? Nefertiti.

5. What character earns the Sanrio Co., Ltd. half of its $1 billion annual revenue? Hello Kitty pays the bills at Sanrio.

6. What NFL team lost Super Bowl I, won Super Bowl IV, and hasn't been back since? It's been a long drought for the Kansas City Chiefs.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these baseball players? Wade Boggs, Rick Burleson, Ron Cey, Frank Crosetti, Andre Dawson, Ralph Garr, Rich Gossage, Joe Medwick, Phil Regan, Tris Speaker. All these players were known by bird nicknames, to wit: "Chicken Man," "Rooster," "Penguin," "Crow," "Hawk," "Road Runner," "Goose," "Ducky," "Vulture," and "Grey Eagle."
Old 20 November 2012, 01:12 PM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

It's Tuesday Trivia: Episode 332, everybody! To my American readers, I wish safe travels and moderate caloric intake during your long Thanksgiving weekend. Personally, I give thanks for all of you: the 15,000-ish member of my extended trivia family.

There were four perfect Question Seven scores on our last ten-week contest, so big congrats to Jake Le Master, N Kashyap, Barry Ford, and Fleming Free. The complete final scoreboard is up at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...php?f=3&t=7563 and I'm sure the new one will be up in no time.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Rooibos is a popular South African type of what?

2. Which Marx Brothers movie builds up to a climactic--but comically disrupted--performance of Il Trovatore?

3. What U.S. state has no ocean coastline, but borders five states that do?

4. Spurinna was the name of the soothsayer most famous for issuing a warning, in 44 BC, against what?

5. What's the name of the passageway between the human wrist and the center of the palm, which you probably only pay attention to when you compress the nerve there?

6. What title video game hero is the son of King Sharaman, who returns as the fearsome Sand King after his death?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, and no others? Fiji, Montenegro, Paraguay, Spain, and Sri Lanka.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:17 PM

Default My Guesses

Quote:
Tea

Quote:
2. Which Marx Brothers movie builds up to a climactic--but comically disrupted--performance of Il Trovatore?

A Night at the Opera

Quote:
Gotta be Tennessee

Quote:
4. Spurinna was the name of the soothsayer most famous for issuing a warning, in 44 BC, against what?
Beware the Ides of March, so, the assassination of Julius Ceasar

Quote:
5. What's the name of the passageway between the human wrist and the center of the palm, which you probably only pay attention to when you compress the nerve there?
The Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
6. What title video game hero is the son of King Sharaman, who returns as the fearsome Sand King after his death?
The Prince of Persia

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, and no others? Fiji, Montenegro, Paraguay, Spain, and Sri Lanka.
Many times when there is a question about unusual distinction of countries, it has to do with flags, but I must admit, I cannot conjure up a mind picture of any of these countries flags. Could be something else, though.

MacLloyd
Old 20 November 2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Tea

A Night at the Opera

Dunno

The Ides of March!

That's all I've got this week.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:22 PM

Herbal tea

A Night at the Opera

The murder of Caesar?

The carpal tunnel
Old 20 November 2012, 01:47 PM

I'm not sure what they're looking for here, it's both a legume and a tea that is dervied from it.

A Night at the Opera.

I think this is Tennessee.

The Ides of March.

Carpal Tunnel.

The Prince of Persia.

No idea.
Old 20 November 2012, 03:30 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Candy
Quote:
I'll go against Marxian logic and say A Night At the Opera.
Quote:
Idaho
Quote:
The Ides of March.
Quote:
the carpel tunnel
Quote:
Jethro Tull
Quote:
They've never hosted an Olympics.

Lots of opportunity for snappy answers this week, but not much truth.

Seaboe
Old 21 November 2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Many times when there is a question about unusual distinction of countries, it has to do with flags, but I must admit, I cannot conjure up a mind picture of any of these countries flags. Could be something else, though.
MacLloyd
All flags have a crest of some sort (Paraguay has 2 as the two sides are different)

I believe both Spain and Sri Lanka have a lion, or specifically a golden lion.
Montenegro has a two-headed eagle on theirs for certain, but maybe a lion on there somewhere as well?

I dont want to Google image it and ruin it for myself, and I guess everyone else.
Old 21 November 2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
All have lions on their flag. I'm fairly sure that Iran had one at some stage.
Old 26 November 2012, 04:31 AM
quijote57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

They've never hosted an Olympics.
FYI- Barcelona, Spain had the Olympics in 1992.
Old 27 November 2012, 01:01 PM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Rooibos is a popular South African type of what? It's an herbal tea. I don't know how to spell or pronounce it but it's pretty good with milk and honey.

2. Which Marx Brothers movie builds up to a climactic--but comically disrupted--performance of Il Trovatore? As you might expect, that's A Night at the Opera.

3. What U.S. state has no ocean coastline, but borders five states that do? Tennessee borders Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. This was a little harder than I'd originally intended, because I didn't notice until the last minute that landlocked Pennsylvania borders FOUR ocean states. Close but no cigar, Pennsylvania.

4. Spurinna was the name of the soothsayer most famous for issuing a warning, in 44 BC, against what? The Ides of March. He was Julius Caesar's personal astrologer. Nice work there, Spurinna. Even Nancy Reagan's astrologer was more effective than you were.

5. What's the name of the passageway between the human wrist and the center of the palm, which you probably only pay attention to when you compress the nerve there? That little tendon passageway is your carpal tunnel.

6. What title video game hero is the son of King Sharaman, who returns as the fearsome Sand King after his death? King Sharaman's son is the titular "Prince of Persia."

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, and no others? Fiji, Montenegro, Paraguay, Spain, and Sri Lanka. These are (I sincerely hope) all the world flags with a lion on them.
Old 27 November 2012, 01:03 PM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

I'm oddly excited to have reached the 333rd installment of Tuesday Trivia! That means that sometime on Thursday, we will be one-third of the way to Tuesday Trivia 1,000! I have big plans for our thousandth quiz, if email still exists in 2025.

Next week's quiz will also be a special one, in honor of my new book, BECAUSE I SAID SO!, which hits shelves that same day. Find out more at http://ken-jennings.com/biss and feel free to pre-order ten copies for your Christmas list. It's an instant classic, what can I say.

The scoreboard, as you probably know by now, is at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...php?f=3&t=9373, and here are the new questions. Good luck!

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Which 1980 Emmy nominee for Outstanding Lead Actor was playing the same role on TV more than three decades later in 2012?

2. The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World were spread across three continents. Which continent was home to more wonders than the other two?

3. In physics, what's the name of the parabola-like curve formed by a chain hanging suspended by both ends?

4. In 2000, English composer Colin Matthews took advantage of scientific progress to compose a new eighth movement to what 1916 orchestral piece?

5. In what activity might you try to employ a "Baltimore chop"?

6. What was historic about the copy of the St. Joseph Gazette delivered to San Francisco on April 14, 1860?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these songs? "Centerfold" by the J. Geils Band, "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys, "Hard to Explain" by the Strokes, "Helter Skelter" by the Beatles, "I Am the Resurrection" by Stone Roses, "The Look" by Roxette, "Love Shack" by the B-52s, "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis Presley, "Turn! Turn! Turn!" by the Byrds, "Under tha Influence (Follow Me)" by Cee-Lo Green.
Old 27 November 2012, 01:08 PM

#1 is probably the recently deceased Larry Hagman, the role being JR Ewing.

And I think I know #7 - in each of these song, the music stops, there are a few seconds of silence, and then the music starts back up again. There's probably a term for that, but I don't know what it is.