snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #341  
Old 27 June 2012, 04:53 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 67,351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
The original "Freecreditscore.com" band is back.
Saw that, love it. I meant to tell DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_raven View Post
Farmers Insurance's "University of Farmers" commercials are all pretty funny.
J.K. Simmons is brilliant. I would watch him in anything. The writing's good, too.
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 27 June 2012, 05:06 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 19,995
Default

Agree on the J.K. Simmons part. His deadpan delivery makes the commericals.

There's an older one with a combined car/boat/home.

"Is that street legal?"
"Define legal."
"Can you drive it on the street?"
"Ha-ha-ha. No."

(I can't find the video, trust me, it is much funnier.)
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 27 June 2012, 07:49 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is online now
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 18,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
The original "Freecreditscore.com" band is back.
BTW, there is a way to get a free credit report at least annually, but that service is not it. You get the report, but you get signed up for services that you have to pay for, and have to jump through hoops to get out of it. go to the Clark Howard website for more info

http://www.clarkhoward.com/
Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 27 June 2012, 07:51 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,798
Default

Oh I would never use the service, I just like the commercials.

Actually in general my favorite commercials and my favorite brands/services rarely overlap.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 27 June 2012, 07:55 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is online now
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 18,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Oh I would never use the service, I just like the commercials.

Actually in general my favorite commercials and my favorite brands/services rarely overlap.
Same here as to that overlap. But there is a value in keeping track of your credit score, and federal law mandates that you be provided a report free if you ask, annually, I believe. But you have to go through the right channel to get a truly free no-strings-attached report from the credit reporting agencies.
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 27 June 2012, 09:46 PM
Kev's Avatar
Kev Kev is offline
 
Join Date: 17 February 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
But you have to go through the right channel to get a truly free no-strings-attached report from the credit reporting agencies.
annualcreditreport.com

You can get one free report from each of the three bureaus annually, but you don't have to get all three at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 29 June 2012, 01:59 PM
firefighter_raven's Avatar
firefighter_raven firefighter_raven is offline
 
Join Date: 27 September 2008
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 2,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
The original "Freecreditscore.com" band is back.
I love that despite their "wealth", they are still driving the Geo convertible with new paint and spoiler.



The Apartment.com commercials are pretty funny especially the bathroom one where he is getting ready to shave. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98g6rFhP9I
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 29 June 2012, 06:05 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is offline
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 12,028
Bonsai Kitten

I saw this PSA promoting pet adoption this morning, and it literally had me laughing out loud:

Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 03 July 2012, 03:47 PM
1958Fury's Avatar
1958Fury 1958Fury is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 4,361
Default

I drove by a business with a sign posted out front that read, "Ridiculous Prices!" Not "ridiculously low prices" or even "ridiculously fair prices." Nope, just ridiculous prices. I like a sign that says what it means.
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 03 July 2012, 03:59 PM
Phantom's Avatar
Phantom Phantom is offline
 
Join Date: 20 May 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 580
Tantrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Same here as to that overlap. But there is a value in keeping track of your credit score, and federal law mandates that you be provided a report free if you ask, annually, I believe. But you have to go through the right channel to get a truly free no-strings-attached report from the credit reporting agencies.
Getting a bit off topic here, but isn't there a difference between a credit report and a credit score? I know there's a way to get a free credit report each year, but I know of no way to get a credit score without paying. I've heard the reasoning that the group that generates it does the work and uses some kind of proprietary magic formula, but like a credit report, it uses my data and I need a way to see it to make sure it's accurate. Grr.
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 03 July 2012, 04:14 PM
vanilla's Avatar
vanilla vanilla is offline
 
Join Date: 13 November 2003
Location: California
Posts: 4,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I saw this PSA promoting pet adoption this morning, and it literally had me laughing out loud.
Thank you so much for that.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 03 July 2012, 07:57 PM
Kev's Avatar
Kev Kev is offline
 
Join Date: 17 February 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I know there's a way to get a free credit report each year, but I know of no way to get a credit score without paying. I've heard the reasoning that the group that generates it does the work and uses some kind of proprietary magic formula, but like a credit report, it uses my data and I need a way to see it to make sure it's accurate. Grr.
That's correct, you are entitled to a free credit report from each agency each year, not a credit score. The credit scores are generated from the data in your credit report, so the important thing is to make sure the information in your credit report is accurate. Because the method for calculating the scores (you have more than one) is propriety and secret, getting your score doesn't help you determine how accurate it is because you have no idea how it was calculated or what it "should" be.
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 04 July 2012, 09:53 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 67,351
Default

There's a Nicorette ad where every time the woman resists a cigarette craving, this tiny band on the console of her car plays "I Just Want to Celebrate." I want one of those little bands to play for me when I make good food and exercise choices.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 04 July 2012, 10:15 PM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is online now
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 18,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There's a Nicorette ad where every time the woman resists a cigarette craving, this tiny band on the console of her car plays "I Just Want to Celebrate." I want one of those little bands to play for me when I make good food and exercise choices.
Like the guy in another ad that gets a horn going off when he starts to take things too far? Pretty good ad, actually, except I cannot remember the product, which is kind of the point of an ad - Oh, wait, it's a car that gives you warnings when you get too close to stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 05 July 2012, 03:44 AM
mcolakis mcolakis is offline
 
Join Date: 11 January 2003
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,684
Cheer

I just watched the kitty ad, and it was funny and cute--such a refreshing change from the sad ones about abused/injured animals.

Among current ads, I kinda like the Athenos feta one with the "YiaYia" complaining that the girls at the pool party look like "the pornography". (But she approves of the feta.)
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 05 July 2012, 11:21 PM
DrRocket's Avatar
DrRocket DrRocket is offline
 
Join Date: 03 February 2006
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 1,531
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Like the guy in another ad that gets a horn going off when he starts to take things too far? Pretty good ad, actually, except I cannot remember the product, which is kind of the point of an ad - Oh, wait, it's a car that gives you warnings when you get too close to stuff.
Actually, if it's the ad I'm thinking of, the the car (Can't remember brand) has a inflation monitoring systme that toots the car's horn if you over-inflate the tires.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 05 July 2012, 11:23 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 67,351
Default

There's another ad for a car with a feature that sends a vibration through the seat to warn of impending collision with an object.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 05 July 2012, 11:57 PM
LizzyBean's Avatar
LizzyBean LizzyBean is offline
 
Join Date: 13 November 2000
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 15,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I saw this PSA promoting pet adoption this morning, and it literally had me laughing out loud:
That was great!

I go through this thread and it kind of makes me wish we watched TV. Sort of.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 06 July 2012, 12:03 AM
A Turtle Named Mack's Avatar
A Turtle Named Mack A Turtle Named Mack is online now
 
Join Date: 21 June 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 18,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Actually, if it's the ad I'm thinking of, the the car (Can't remember brand) has a inflation monitoring systme that toots the car's horn if you over-inflate the tires.
That's it! Kind of a problem when the ad is memorable, except as to the product being advertised.
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 06 July 2012, 12:04 AM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,798
Default

I love all the ShelterProject ads.

http://theshelterpetproject.org/who-...gn#ao2A-eEIkA4
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TV Commercials That Get a Bit Too Personal snopes Snopes Spotting 8 17 August 2007 07:53 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.