snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 01 May 2012, 03:59 AM

Icon18

Apple and sage pork chops, from another of the McCormick cards. Not so much "Will make again" as "Suspect my family will disown me if I do not make again." Damn they were good.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 01 May 2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geminilee View Post
Lima beans and ham necks.

Ok, the ham necks sound a bit odd, but they really are very good when simmered for hours with lima beans. Add an onion, some garlic powder, maybe a little rosemary.... mmmmm.
what are ham necks? Neck bones?
Old 01 May 2012, 12:34 PM

Smoked pork neck bones, I'd imagine.
Old 05 May 2012, 10:55 PM

Chef

Lamb chops quickly fried and then finished in a hot oven, baked sweet potato slices with a pat of butter, fiddleheads sautéed in butter with a squeeze of lemon. Chocolate cupcakes for dessert.

It's fiddlehead season, and for that I am happy.
Old 06 May 2012, 12:35 AM

Dinner tonight was sushi, wonderful homemade California rolls (mine with imitation crab that had been heated making it pregnancy safe) that were absolutely delicious.

My husband is awesome, and makes fantastic sushi
Old 06 May 2012, 12:55 AM

Mexico

A soup made yesterday so it would be nicely blended today. Pinto beans, green & red pepper, tomatoes, onions, grilled chicken, corn, plenty Mexican type spices for Cinqo de Mayo. Shredded cheese melted on top for fun. Mmmm.....
Old 06 May 2012, 02:07 PM

Last night Lainie and her DD came over for dinner and card games. We grilled up a bunch of vegetables - bell peppers, onion, eggplant, zucchini, and asparagus. It was quite tasty. Lainie also brought margaritas. Yum.
Old 06 May 2012, 02:59 PM

Icon23

I did a baked Dearborn ham, steamed broccoli spears, and sweet potatoes on Wednesday. We had enough leftovers of all that for a couple days. Last night we had grilled ham and cheese (swiss for Marty, provolone for me) with Mucky Duck mustard. Tonight we're having scalloped potatoes with ham. The bone and the rest will go into the freezer for pea soup, unless we have enough for another bout of grilled ham and cheese, because those were YUM!

A lot of ham, but we only go hammy once a year or so.
Old 08 May 2012, 11:05 PM

Spinach and kale salad with melted cheese, sunflower kernels, and ground flaxseed; and multi-grain spaghetti with tofu.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:18 AM

Lemon Chicken pasta. I am trying to make one chicken breast last for three dishes (it is a large one), so I will be adding a few vegetables.

Tommorrow night; chicken curry with potato, cauliflower and pumpkin (roasted). Just have to decide on the curry panag (from homemade paste in the freezer) or grilled from the powder I bought at the farmers markets.
Old 09 May 2012, 09:23 PM

Glasses

Cheeseburger rice, which I already made last week, but there was a terrific deal on ground sirloin I couldn't pass up. I omit the bacon (since it's tasty but only minimally nutritious) add an extra half pound of meat, use two and a half cups of regular rice (cooked beforehand) and double all the other ingredients. Even with only one person to eat it it doesn't last long. I have no veggies at home now, so I'll probably add some grapes and a container of strawberry yogurt.

Sister "always a member of the clean plate club" Ray
Old 14 May 2012, 02:29 PM

Tonight we're having chicken on the grill, using this rub:

Sweet & Savory Tailgating Rub
(For Chicken, Beef or Pork)

½ cup Domino Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Paprika
1 Tbsp. Black Pepper
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Salt
1 Tbsp. Onion Powder
1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder

In a medium size bowl, mix together all ingredients. Rub onto chicken, beef or pork; allow to rest 5 minutes before grilling, or wrap meat in foil and refrigerate overnight to grill the next day. Yields about one cup covering 2 to 3 lbs. of meat. Rub can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container.

I've made it before and it's pretty good. This will be the first time this season, though.

Wednesday I made my Greek whole split chicken on the grill and Greek potatoes in the oven for my sister's last meal before surgery on Thursday. She couldn't say "This is SO good!" enough, apparently.
Old 14 May 2012, 02:47 PM

Yesterday we had my parents over for a mother's day dinner - smoked chickens (brined and slow-smoked on our grill), baked sweet potatoes, assorted vegetables and dip, and homemade apple pie with vanilla ice cream for dessert. We had lots of chicken left over, so I see some smoked chicken salad in our near future. (I also boiled the stripped carcasses overnight for some stock.)
Old 14 May 2012, 03:23 PM

I think boxed chicken alfredo with green salad or peas. Nothing fancy but weeknights are so busy we have to take shortcuts.
Old 15 May 2012, 02:24 PM

I'm making tonight's tea for me and my friend, who doesn't normally eat many vegetables and it's always a nice reason for him to eat more of them when I cook for him!

So I'm making a bean and tomato stew (borlotti beans, haricot beans, a tin of chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, onion, leek, garlic, carrot, various herbs) and cheese and chive mashed potato.
Old 17 May 2012, 02:07 AM

Penne pasta with tomatoes, dill, and homemade tahini dressing. Also, smoked oysters and cream cheese on crackers.

I haven't eaten oysters in over 20 years, but as soon as I opened the tin, they smelled and tasted exactly the same as I remember from childhood. I don't think I'm going to be making a habit of them, though. But my body has been craving animal protein for the last two days, so I figured I'd give myself a boost of B12 and iron. Also bought a rotisserie chicken last night and made chicken stock from the bones, so I'll be having homemade chicken noodle soup later this week.
Old 17 May 2012, 07:10 PM

Last night, for the first time in my life, I grilled salmon steak. That's a charcoal grill, for you outliers. It turned out perfect. The only side was brussels sprouts. I made cherry cobbler for dessert.

Yum!
Old 20 May 2012, 01:41 AM

Homemade Burritos and Nachos.
Old 20 May 2012, 05:47 AM

A salad with little gem lettuce, beets, radish, french feta, whole wheat croutons, and pollen vinaigrette.
Grilled flatbread, with spicy wild boar sausage, preserved lemon yogurt, and arugula (a remarkable, intense flavor combination which I must have again).
Smoked trout cake, fried quail egg, and harissa aioli.
A cheese plate with Buche Rondi, Roaring 40’s, and Saint Andre cheeses, brioche crostini, apricot compote, nuts, and honey.
A glass of French Cabernet blend.
Old 25 May 2012, 03:46 AM

I tried a newly opened gastropub for the first time:
Salmon and tuna tartar with rosemary salt chips.
Medium rare filet mignon in red wine veal reduction with asparagus and macaroni and cheese.
Lemon cake with blueberry compote and fresh thyme.