snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 14 October 2011, 05:50 PM

Icon97 Births increase 9 months after snowstorm

Major hospitals in the Atlanta area are seeing an uptick in births, nine months after a major ice and snowstorm effectively shut down the Georgia city.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/10/...1151318519647/
Old 16 October 2011, 01:03 AM

They obviously don't understand statistics very well. The numbers are very low, and could be caused by any number of causes. A search of similar timeframes would certainly show other spikes unrelated to any particular cause.
Old 17 October 2011, 08:27 AM

Please, don't destroy a nice UL with logical thinking!
Old 04 November 2011, 04:48 PM

Ambulance Condoms being delivered to flood victims

Authorities scrambled Wednesday to airlift condoms and other emergency health supplies to victims of Thailand's worst floods in decades to prevent a feared surge in unplanned pregnancies.

“Local volunteers told us that villagers have nothing to do during the floods, so to prevent a baby boom we added condoms too,” an official at the Emergency Medical Institute of Thailand told AFP.

http://money.bangkokpost.com/lite/to...-flood-victims

I don't know about anyone else, but if my home was flooded, my livelihood damaged, and I was living in a camp, I don't think I'd be in the mood.
Old 04 November 2011, 05:51 PM

I'm amazed at all these women whose menstral cycle seems to coincide with blizzards...

And then, all these women, who are ovulating at the time of the blizzard, find their contraceptives nullified by the falling snow!

ETA: Same thing applies for floods, I guess.

Last edited by Alarm; 04 November 2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Look for teh rest of the pages!
Old 04 November 2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debunker View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but if my home was flooded, my livelihood damaged, and I was living in a camp, I don't think I'd be in the mood.
Me neither. I would also think privacy would be an issue.
Old 05 November 2011, 08:23 AM

The stories of a baby boom are starting to appear from last February's midwest blizzard. Snopes even gets a mention.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ng-event-spike
Old 07 November 2011, 01:16 AM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman977 View Post
The stories of a baby boom are starting to appear from last February's midwest blizzard. Snopes even gets a mention.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ng-event-spike
Is it wrong that the opening quote annoys the hell out of me?

Quote:
"When I look back now, I remember my husband and I got some good quality time together."
There's just so many things wrong with that sentence. Did she not remember it until recently? When I think about everything I've ever done that had repercussions months down the road, I never use the phrase "When I look back now," unless the outcome was NOT what I was expecting.

If I said "When I look back now, I remember getting this job." to someone at work they'd be expecting a punchline or a cynical comment or a resignation letter. The statement means nothing by itself. "The effect had a cause." Is it supposed to be code for "LOL we sex0red!" or something?

And remember it or not, would she ever say the opposite? "No, we didn't really do anything around that time. Surprised? You BET he was!"

Quote:
"We thought we were done having children. This snowstorm baby was a blessed surprise."
Granted I know nothing about their reproductive history other than having two kids, but I can't help but parse that sentence as either "Help me I have no idea how babies are made and it keeps happening." or "How do I tell the newspaper that the kid was an accident without actually saying that?"
Old 10 November 2011, 11:16 PM

Icon97 The heartwarming result of our recent cold winters? Baby boom

When the weather gets cold and the nights draw in, there isn’t always a great deal to do beyond getting an early night.

This may be the factor behind claims that recent colder winters have contributed to a boom in the birthrate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-40-years.html
Old 27 April 2012, 03:37 AM

Driver Did L.A. "Carmageddon" scare lead to baby boom?

A "Carmageddon" baby boom may be happening in Los Angeles, nine months after construction shut down the busy 405 Freeway in Los Angeles for an entire weekend.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_1...-to-baby-boom/
Old 27 April 2012, 03:41 AM

During long power outages, I have a tendency to do arts and crafts of the sort I never do otherwise--childish things involving glitter and sequins. I also have a number of battery-powered things for darkness. I think most people do. Living where I do, I have had more than my share of long power outages in the past couple of years.
Old 27 April 2012, 01:27 PM

I think we have finally found a solution to declining birth rates. Just randomly shut down major freeways around the country.

Hey if I'm not getting screwed by traffic, I might as well..
Old 27 April 2012, 05:20 PM

I saw this bumped to the active topics and wondered where they had a blizzard in July.
Old 28 February 2013, 08:42 PM

Icon97 Hurricane Sandy's baby bump

The lights were out. The wind was howling. And New Yorkers held each other tight. Now, the city is expecting a summer of special deliveries.

http://newyorkpost.com/p/entertainme...jG3CeV6e1gzwFP
Old 28 May 2013, 05:58 AM

Icon97

The idea that blackouts, whether caused by storms or accidents, lead to a rise in births has become a virtual cliché. But it is not necessarily accurate, according to researchers. “My first instinct is that people are home, they want to be together more and so there’s an increased rate,” said Dr. Michael R. Berman, medical director for labor and delivery at Beth Israel Medical Center. “But after looking at some of the past catastrophes there wasn’t.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/27/ny...ne-babies.html
Old 08 June 2013, 01:43 PM

While snuggling to keep warm may allow the possibility of a baby boom after a blizzard (though as many have mentioned, birth control doesn't magically stop working in a snow storm), anyone who thinks a hurricane would cause similar reactions has never been to Florida in the summer. Without air conditioning it is just too hot and too sticky to even consider being close to another human being. I would honestly expect the reverse, a noticeable decline in birth rate in areas impacted for more than a couple of days by a hurricane.