snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 10 April 2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLloyd View Post
6. What electrical quantity is measured by an ohmmeter?
Resistance.

ETA:
Quote:
3. Which composer wrote many of his best-known works while biting a metal road attached to the soundboard of his piano?
Could that be Beethoven? I know he was death in the later part of his live.

Last edited by Don Enrico; 10 April 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10 April 2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
1. The record-selling album subtitled "Songs from District 12 and Beyond" is the soundtrack to what?
The Hunger Games

Quote:
2. Name one of the two current U.S. state capitals that was once the nation's capital as well (that is, Congress met there).
Boston???

Quote:
3. Which composer wrote many of his best-known works while biting a metal road attached to the soundboard of his piano?
Beethoven???

Quote:
4. Kentucky's Final Four win moves it within three titles of what school's record for having won the NCAA basketball championship a record 11 times?
No idea (sports questions yet again!)

Quote:
5. Lodz is the largest city in what country not to lie on the Vistula River?
Poland

Quote:
6. What electrical quantity is measured by an ohmmeter?
Resistance

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these big movies, and no others that I'm aware of? The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Friday the 13th, Ice Age, Jackass, Jaws, Madagascar, Men in Black, Spy Kids, Toy Story, Transformers.
I have seen them all, but I don't know what they have in common.

MacLloyd
Old 10 April 2012, 09:39 AM

1. The record-selling album subtitled "Songs from District 12 and Beyond" is the soundtrack to what?

The Hunger Games

2. Name one of the two current U.S. state capitals that was once the nation's capital as well (that is, Congress met there).

Philadelphia?

3. Which composer wrote many of his best-known works while biting a metal rod attached to the soundboard of his piano?

Beethoven

4. Kentucky's Final Four win moves it within three titles of what school's record for having won the NCAA basketball championship a record 11 times?

Duke?
Old 10 April 2012, 12:14 PM

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The record-selling album subtitled "Songs from District 12 and Beyond" is the soundtrack to what? The Hunger Games

2. Name one of the two current U.S. state capitals that was once the nation's capital as well (that is, Congress met there).Philadelphia?

A road??? Or a rod?
Guessing Beethoven

4. Blah blah sports blah blah?

5. Lodz is the largest city in what country not to lie on the Vistula River? No idea.

6. What electrical quantity is meaured by an ohmmeter? Resistance

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these big movies, and no others that I'm aware of? The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Friday the 13th, Ice Age, Jackass, Jaws, Madagascar, Men in Black, Spy Kids, Toy Story, Transformers.
Old 10 April 2012, 01:57 PM

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The Hunger Games

2. Annapolis?

4. )UCLA?

5. )Poland?

6. Resistance, but that is just futile
Old 10 April 2012, 02:39 PM

I'm guessing from the title it's The Hunger Games.

I think that's Baltimore and Trenton

Going to guess Ludwig van Beethoven, as a way to cope with his hearing loss

No idea

Poland

6. What electrical quantity is meaured by an ohmmeter?

Resistance

no idea
Old 10 April 2012, 02:45 PM

A film

Philadelphia? Baltimore?

A metal road? Had it been a metal rod I would have guessed Beethoven.

Poland

Electrical resistance
Old 10 April 2012, 04:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Slum Dog Millionaire
Quote:
Boston
Quote:
Methinks there is a typo in this question. As for an answer, I say Beethoven and that he bit the rod to feel the vibrations.
Quote:
Gonzaga.
Quote:
Poland
Quote:
resistance (or the futility of such)
Quote:
Other than being less than 25 years old and the first movie in a franchise where they all have the title of the first movie in the subsequent movies, I have no clue.

And where are the answers from 2 weeks ago? I actually knew most of those (I think).

Seaboe
Old 10 April 2012, 04:36 PM

Canada

The Hunger Games

Annapolis was a temporary capital, IIRC.

I'm guessing Beethoven.

UCLA owned the 1970s

Poland

Resistance

The third Jaws was titled "Jaws 3-D" and the third Spy Kids was "Spy Kids in 3-D" or something like that. I think the third Jackass was "Jackass 3-D" but I'm not positive. There's going to be a third MIB and more than likely (given the profitability of the franchise) a third Madagascar. Toy Story 3 was just "Toy Story 3", and the third Narnia flick was "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader" (or something like that). No idea about the third Friday the 13th, and I assume there's been a third Ice Age but I haven't seen it nor can recall its title off-hand. The third Transformers was "Dark of the Moon" or something like that. Best I can guess is that the third movie of the franchise is filmed in 3D.
Old 10 April 2012, 04:37 PM

#4 would definitely be UCLA.
Old 10 April 2012, 04:39 PM

The Hunger Games film?

Albany?

3. Which composer wrote many of his best-known works while biting a metal rod attached to the soundboard of his piano?
Beethoven?

Resistance
Old 10 April 2012, 04:41 PM

To be painfully precise, an ohmmeter does not measure resistance. It measures current at a known voltage, from which it derives resistance.
Old 10 April 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post

The third Jaws was titled "Jaws 3-D" and the third Spy Kids was "Spy Kids in 3-D" or something like that. I think the third Jackass was "Jackass 3-D" but I'm not positive. There's going to be a third MIB and more than likely (given the profitability of the franchise) a third Madagascar. Toy Story 3 was just "Toy Story 3", and the third Narnia flick was "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader" (or something like that). No idea about the third Friday the 13th, and I assume there's been a third Ice Age but I haven't seen it nor can recall its title off-hand. The third Transformers was "Dark of the Moon" or something like that. Best I can guess is that the third movie of the franchise is filmed in 3D.
I think you have it as Friday13th and MIB follow the same pattern
Old 11 April 2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGuyswithaHat View Post
I think you have it as Friday13th and MIB follow the same pattern
(I apologize if I did not get the correct color for spoiler text, but I'm colorblind and cannot tell which one would be best.)
If that is the case, and it seems likely, then Ken is getting sloppy with his "no others that I'm aware of". Other movies that would fit include Harold and Kumar, and Step Up. I think I recall a few more that would fit as well, but I cannot look them up and post for this.
I've tried to come up with more specific things that would rule those out, but I don't know of any. The most obvious one, dealing with the title itself requiring a reference, doesn't work, since both of those have it. Another possibility I thought of was only the third one being in 3D, but Harold and Kumar fit that, while Ice Age does not.
Old 12 April 2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
(I apologize if I did not get the correct color for spoiler text, but I'm colorblind and cannot tell which one would be best.)
"White" works fine, Darth Credence, it's what we all use.
Old 17 April 2012, 08:57 AM

Default Last Week's Answers

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. The record-selling album subtitled "Songs from District 12 and Beyond" is the soundtrack to what? "District 12" is the home region of Katniss Everdene, protagonist of The Hunger Games. The soundtrack album topped the charts in its debut and has already sold more digital copies than any other movie soundtrack in history.

2. Name one of the two current U.S. state capitals that was once the nation's capital as well (that is, Congress met there). Trenton and Annapolis. Oh, there was an "Albany Congress" as well, but that was in 1754 and therefore predated the U.S. by quite a bit.

3. Which composer wrote many of his best-known works while biting a metal road attached to the soundboard of his piano? This is the vibration method that let Beethoven "hear" his later compositions even after going deaf. I think Skrillex might do the same thing?

4. Kentucky's Final Four win moves it within three titles of what school's record for having won the NCAA basketball championship a record 11 times? UCLA, of course, mostly thanks to the John Wooden era, which included a remarkable ten wins in twelve seasons.

5. Lodz is the largest city in what country not to lie on the Vistula River? The Vistula just SOUNDS like a disgusting skin ailment. It's actually the longest river in Poland.

6. What electrical quantity is meaured by an ohmmeter? Ohms measure resistance. Resistance is futile. Therefore, ohmmeters will be assimilated.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these big movies, and no others that I'm aware of? The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Friday the 13th, Ice Age, Jackass, Jaws, Madagascar, Men in Black, Spy Kids, Toy Story, Transformers. These are all movies whose second sequel (i.e. "part three") was the first released in 3-D. I now see that I missed Harold and Kumar...any other series go to three dimensions in their third outing?
Old 17 April 2012, 08:58 AM

Default This Week's Questions

Per Ken Jennings' request, the trivia challenge discussed on this message board has the number seven question delayed by one week. This is to avoid easy googling of the question which is designed to foil those who would "cheat". If you know the current number seven question, please do not discuss it here.

The Rules of the Thread
1. If you use the thread to help you get answers, do not submit those answers to the official game.
2. No googling until Sunday. No looking anything up anywhere (and posting it) before Sunday. No checking an article in a magazine you read last week. No checking some old notebook from college. No wikipedia. Not even snopes.com. No checking anything, anywhere - until Sunday. Only information that is stored in your brain, or in the brains of your non-snopester friends and family. But you can't use your family members as a work-around to looking up the information yourself.
3. If you google, don't post that information to the thread until Sunday. Not even as confirmation of the guesses of other posters. Someone else might still know the information on their own.
4. No guess is stupid, throw it out there.
5. No Hinting. If you have a guess or a reasonable belief that you have the right answer, post it. If you are attempting to use hinting as a work-around to the no posting googled answers rule, don't.

And remember, this is an exhibition, not a competition, so please... no wagering.

Let me be the first to welcome you to the 301st weekly installment of Ken Jennings's Tuesday Trivia. My name is Ken Jennings. I'll be your cruise director.

Today is also the day my book MAPHEAD is released in paperback! It's about my lifelong love of maps and geography-geek subcultures of all kinds: antique map collectors, Geography Bee prodigies, geocachers, obsessive travelers, and so on. If last September's hardcover release didn't tempt you, you can now get the same book for, like, half the price. More details at http://ken-jennings.com/maphead.html if you're curious. And if you live in Salt Lake City, Denver, San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle, come get a signed copy when I pass through town in the next couple weeks. A complete schedule is at http://www.ken-jennings.com/appearances.html .

But that's it for the hard sell. A signed copy of MAPHEAD (hardcover, paperback, your call) will go to our latest 10-week Tuesday Trivia champion--but as I write this, the scoreboard at http://ken-jennings.com/messageboard...pic.php?t=6882 hasn't been updated yet, so seven different players are still in contention. Final stats next week, then.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Battles at Goose Green and Port Stanley were part of what short-lived military conflict?

2. Who recently became the first performer to win the "Razzie" Award for Worst Actor and Worst Actress in the same year?

3. Webster's defines a blacksmith as a worker in iron and a whitesmith as a worker in what other metal?

4. Which of the five "Great Lakes" extends furthest north?

5. If reflections are counted as different pieces, how many different falling shapes are there in the original Tetris?

6. Saxophonist Jake Clemons is the newest member of which band?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV shows? The Addams Family, Bewitched, The Dukes of Hazzard, Full House, Make Room for Daddy, My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Seinfeld, The Sopranos, Two and a Half Men.
Old 17 April 2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
1. Battles at Goose Green and Port Stanley were part of what short-lived military conflict?
That would be the Falkland Island War (according to the British). I was living in South America during the war and when I got home it took me a while to figure out what a Falkland Island was!

Quote:
2. Who recently became the first performer to win the "Razzie" Award for Worst Actor and Worst Actress in the same year?
Adam Sandler for "Jack and Jill"

Quote:
3. Webster's defines a blacksmith as a worker in iron and a whitesmith as a worker in what other metal?
WAG - Tin

Quote:
Don't know... consulting map in head... WAG - Superior

Quote:
5. If reflections are counted as different pieces, how many different falling shapes are there in the original Tetris?
If my quick sketch holds up - 19

Quote:
E-Street Band???

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV shows? The Addams Family, Bewitched, The Dukes of Hazzard, Full House, Make Room for Daddy, My Three Sons, Petticoat Junction, Seinfeld, The Sopranos, Two and a Half Men.
Ooh Ooh - I think I know this one! Uncle Fester, Uncle Arthur, Uncle Jesse, Uncle Jesse, Uncle Toulouse, Uncle Charley, Uncle Joe, Uncle ???, Uncle ???, Uncle Charlie. They all have uncles in the cast.

MacLloyd
Old 17 April 2012, 09:36 AM

The Falklands war

Silver?

Lake Michigan

The E Street Band
Old 17 April 2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
If my quick sketch holds up - 19
I'm guessing the answer he's going for is 7 (if I counted right), but I think we're reading the question differently. I think he just means reflections as in the different colors of pieces that are mirror images of each other (the Ls and the z-shaped pieces) count as separate shapes. But I'm not positive about that--it's an ambiguously worded question. If we're reading the question the same way, then I don't remember the original Tetris at all!