snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Bad Gastronomer

Old 06 March 2012, 04:11 PM

Home made kung pao chicken, I think. I'm pretty excited!
Old 09 March 2012, 05:16 AM

I had chicken piccata, sautéed to brown crispiness with lemon, capers, white wine, garlic, and Italian parsley, with fettuccine. It's one of those dishes that I never really cared for because in the past it's usually just been rubber chicken with insipid lemon sauce, but this really changed my opinion of it.

Also a fig, grapefruit, watercress, and goat cheese salad.
Old 11 March 2012, 05:39 AM

Zigeuner schnitzel (fried breaded pork escalope with pepper tomato sauce), german potato salad, sauerkraut, kartoffelpuffer mit apfelmus (potato pancake with apple sauce).
Old 17 March 2012, 12:13 AM

I am trying my own invention, sort of. At least, I am not working from a recipe.

Tonight we are having a sort of potato and ham chowder, with cheese sauce. I sauteed the onions and the ham, made a roux, added the potatoes and milk, and now am cooking it down before I add the cheese. Hopefully I will end up with a delicious meal, and not a horrific mess. It smells good so far, though. I have a loaf of sourdough bread to go with it; I thought about getting several smaller loafs and making bread bowls from them but decided the big loaf was just easier.

For being ovenless, I am doing a fairly good job of making interesting meals. I even made an impromtu oven the other day by putting a frying pan on the element with a bit of water in it, then setting a cookie dish on top of that with aluminum foil creating the "oven". It worked surprisingly well. I don't think I would want to do anything like baking where temperature control is paramount, but it is good enough for making a frozen pizza.
Old 17 March 2012, 12:34 AM

Eggplant parmesan, multi-grain tortilla chips, and a glass of milk.
Old 18 March 2012, 07:32 AM

A six course tasting menu with wine pairings for the first five courses:
To start a Bahn Mi style crispy pig ear, shaved carrots, sliced chilies, cilantro, and chicken liver pâté on toast.
A salad of cauliflower florets, diced carrot, parsley, Tuscan kale, and Pecorino Romano.
Pasta with Manila clams, preserved lemon, Calabria peppers, sea beans, garlic, and white wine broth.
White sea bass in Jamaican jerk sauce with shell beans, swiss chard, and plantains.
A duo of roasted duck breast and smoked duck sausage, with winter squash, beets, Tuscan kale, and duck jus.
Chocolate mousse for desert.
Old 19 March 2012, 04:35 PM

Last night:

One half of a shriveled clementine (the un-dessicated part)
One shell Matlaw's Stuffed Clams(microwaved)
One 20 oz. bottle Giant Food store brand diet root beer
One fun-size Snickers bar

Last edited by Gin Rickey; 19 March 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: forgot to include cooking method for entree
Old 19 March 2012, 08:06 PM

Vegetarian chilli tonight.
Old 20 March 2012, 02:09 AM

I got some bell peppers on sale the other day, so I made quinoa-stuffed peppers using this recipe. I tweaked it a bit by leaving out the cayenne pepper and some of the herbs, and I added mozzarella cheese to the stuffing. (There are few baked dishes that mozzarella can't make heavenly.) The peppers came out really good, and for a side dish I had some Greek yogurt with honey.
Old 25 March 2012, 12:49 AM

Tried an experimental recipe tonight, that came out pretty good. I made a couscous salad, cooking the couscous in a mix of coconut milk and water, with a generous helping of lime juice. I love the way lime taste with couscous.

The remaining salad ingredients included green olives, diced bell peppers, alfalfa sprouts, sunflower kernels, and parmesan cheese. I'd never tried this particular combination before, but I like it. Next time I'll use a higher ratio of water to coconut milk for cooking the couscous, though. The coconut flavor is a bit overpowering.
Old 08 April 2012, 07:47 PM

Actually last night: Broiled falafel on whole-wheat pita, made with wheat bread crumbs and served with tzatziki sauce. All homemade. It was Ms. Grey's suggestion that I broil the falafel on cokie sheats treated with olive oil in order to cut down on their greasiness, which had been a problem for me when I've fried it on the stove in the past. Even when I'd tried it with olive oil instead of canola, it was always just too heavy. This, though, turned out perfect.
Old 10 April 2012, 12:51 AM

I made little tiny meatloaf's and mashed potatoes also cookies for dessert. My cookies came out a but poofy and cake/muffin like, still yummy though.
Old 10 April 2012, 12:54 AM

mozzarella sticks w/ marinara sauce
Old 10 April 2012, 02:39 AM

A simple, late dinner of steamed spinach and chickpeas topped with ground flax seed and mozzarella cheese.
Old 10 April 2012, 02:52 AM

Cervus and MisterGrey, your meals sound very yummy. The idea of broiling falafel instead of frying it is intriguing -- I love falafel, but fried it is a rather guilty pleasure.

Speaking of which, last night's "dinner" was Fritos and Lawson's chip dip. But I've mostly been pretty good.
Old 10 April 2012, 05:09 AM

Salmone Marinato: thinly sliced, home cured salmon, with capers, sweet onion, lemon.
Crespelle Trevisane: crêpe gratin, with braised radicchio and ricotta.
Old 10 April 2012, 05:29 AM

Icon18

Chicken tikka masala, made from one of the McCormick Recipe Inspirations cards. Very tasty and pretty easy; I'll definitely be holding onto the recipe and making it again with the spices I already have. For about a month now I've been in charge of Monday night dinners, mostly so I can feel like I'm contributing something to the household, and this was the first time I went with something I'd never attempted before.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 10 April 2012, 09:39 AM

Pizza with home made base, Dad's tomarto relish as sauce, ham, mozzeralla, pesto feta, parmesan, olives and sun-dried tomartoes.
Old 10 April 2012, 12:59 PM

I go for my triennial colonoscopy tomorrow - so I'm having beef broth with a polyethylene glycol chaser - yum

BW
Old 10 April 2012, 01:17 PM

My least favorite meal in the world. But the meal afte desirer that is my favorite: whatever your heart desires!