snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Business

Old 17 November 2009, 01:00 PM

I could be wrong, but wouldn't it be cheaper to ship them through a freight company rather than the USPS?
Old 17 November 2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
Sears and eventually other mail order companies were selling "mail order houses" back in the early 1900s. It would make more sense if someone tried to ship one of these kits using USPS.
I would love to see IKEA revive this concept.
Old 14 January 2010, 05:55 PM

Yes, UPS does freight now, I've used them several times at work.
Old 14 January 2010, 06:36 PM

As I recall, UPS has been doing freight since about 1988, but it's never been cheap. Actual freight companies do it far cheaper, but UPS does give some vague assurances about when it's going to arrive. Having an LTL hitch a ride on another truck, though...that can take some time. I did once ship some product via UPS rather than LTL (full trucks were company policy, but LTL was allowed in some instances) because time was of the essence. Fortunately, it didn't weigh very much so I don't think anybody ever knew about it.
Old 14 January 2010, 06:54 PM

I doubt it's the structure of the house being moved - though that has been done - either carefully disassembled and reassembled or sometimes in its entireity - rather than the house contents.

Now I don't know about USPS but I do know I can hire a 38 tonne lorry (and driver) to take anything to anywhere in the land for less than 1,000 - and that's a very short notice (special) rate. Which depending on the bulk rather than the weight not many people would need more than two of for their possessions.

I'm doubtful that Royal Mail Parcelforce would send 30,000 Kg (the maximum desired load on a 38 tonner) of stuff for less than 1,000 - however you optimised it by spreading it into the various weight/size bands.
Old 17 March 2010, 06:46 PM

When I was a child, someone was moving a house and it fell off the truck into a pasture across the road from my grandmother's house. I don't really remember how long it took for them to get it loaded up and hauled off again, but I know the house was there for months.
Old 18 March 2010, 03:57 PM
fritos56

Bonsai Kitten Mailing A House

Yes, i remember reading about the Sears Houses. Montgomery Wards sold them too. There was also Harris Brothers of Chicago, Gordon Van Tine,Bennett Brothers of New York, louis Bossert,also of New York,pacific Ready Cut Houses in Los Angeles, who later i understand got into making surfboards.And there was Sterling Homes and Aladdin, Lewis-Liberty Homes, and various other companies.
Years ago they moved a two story house next to Schertz Bank,out to Farm Road 1518, and it still is there.
That's like there was a Sears Roebuck house in McQueeny,that was next to the Guadalupe River i would pass when I'd drive to Seguin,the county seat sometimes.They had an article in the paper about the house being moved to somewhere in the country around there.
I guess they can move pretty much any sort of building, though there maybe exceptions.
Old 03 January 2011, 12:09 PM

Might not have been a house, but it could have been the bricks used to build a bank building in Utah.

http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/exhib...2f_parcel.html

http://history.utah.gov/apps/markers...?markerid=1525
Old 03 January 2011, 08:05 PM

Australia

About 5 miles from here there is a place selling houses that have been moved. They're lined up like cars in a lot and you pick out the one you want and they arrange removal. It's probably the only place of its kind, and Billy Connolly toured it when he did his show about Australia.
Old 03 January 2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
When I was a child, someone was moving a house and it fell off the truck into a pasture across the road from my grandmother's house. I don't really remember how long it took for them to get it loaded up and hauled off again, but I know the house was there for months.
How long did it take for them to clean up the witch that was under it?
Old 09 April 2012, 11:03 AM
Aggie80

Default Bank that was mailed.

It was a bank building in Colorado that created the change to the Parcel Post laws. It was cheaper to send the bricks in pallet loads through the mail than to hire the wagons, train cards and people to move it through normal channels. The building still exists. http://www.stampsofdistinction.com/2...st-office.html