snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09 April 2012, 12:58 AM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is online now
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,609
Default

If the letters in white are the ones that got added for that turn, then the last row previously contained the words "JO" and "GLED" before the extra G was added. The WWF dictionary linked earlier doesn't like either of those as legit words.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09 April 2012, 01:31 AM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrotiger View Post
True, however three non-scoring turns (not rounds, as in Scrabble) immediately ends the game in WWF.
I forgot about that. That does make it harder, but it's still very possible.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09 April 2012, 01:34 AM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
If the letters in white are the ones that got added for that turn, then the last row previously contained the words "JO" and "GLED" before the extra G was added. The WWF dictionary linked earlier doesn't like either of those as legit words.
This one?
http://www.wordswithfriendscheat.net...ds-dictionary/

They show as valid for me. "JO" is definitely valid - I've played it many times.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09 April 2012, 02:09 AM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is online now
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,609
Default

Ah. I just didn't get how that dictionary worked.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12 April 2012, 12:01 AM
Errata's Avatar
Errata Errata is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 11,799
Default

50 point bonus you say. Does this apply even if some of your tiles are wildcards? I have two wildcards and lots of easy letters in my current game, so I can very easily make a word out of all my tiles. I never considered it, because without the 50 point bonus it wouldn't be the best use of them.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12 April 2012, 12:08 AM
Cervus's Avatar
Cervus Cervus is online now
 
Join Date: 21 October 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,567
Default

Yeah, the 50 point bonus is for using all your tiles, regardless of what they are.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12 April 2012, 01:19 PM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,270
Default

Shenanigans. What letters could have been played to make that word? You can only play 7 letters at a time.

Can you claim a triple word score or other bonus that has already been used? I was under the impression that one the bonus square had been used, it doesn't get used again.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12 April 2012, 02:22 PM
Chloe's Avatar
Chloe Chloe is online now
 
Join Date: 13 September 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 39,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Shenanigans. What letters could have been played to make that word? You can only play 7 letters at a time.
A I Z I N. Hence two letters left.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12 April 2012, 02:33 PM
diddy's Avatar
diddy diddy is offline
 
Join Date: 07 March 2004
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 10,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
A I Z I N. Hence two letters left.
Indeed, the other letters were already on the board from other words.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12 April 2012, 03:49 PM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
A I Z I N. Hence two letters left.
Huh? Either you guys are talking about something else, or you're confused. The letters that were played last are the letters in white (CCPULZG). The reason that there are 2 tiles in the player's rack is because there were only 2 tiles left in the game. Those are the tiles the player received after playing CCPULZG.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12 April 2012, 03:57 PM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Yeah, the 50 point bonus is for using all your tiles, regardless of what they are.
In Words With Friends, it's a 35 point bonus. It's 50 points in Scrabble.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12 April 2012, 04:02 PM
Jahungo's Avatar
Jahungo Jahungo is offline
 
Join Date: 23 May 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 5,251
Default

My guess that videoguy is right: somebody saw this play on lexical word finder and copied it, probably with photoshop.

But I will point out that with an extremely large amount of games played, very unlikely things actually become pretty likely.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12 April 2012, 04:09 PM
Chloe's Avatar
Chloe Chloe is online now
 
Join Date: 13 September 2004
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 39,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy View Post
Huh? Either you guys are talking about something else, or you're confused. The letters that were played last are the letters in white (CCPULZG). The reason that there are 2 tiles in the player's rack is because there were only 2 tiles left in the game. Those are the tiles the player received after playing CCPULZG.
That makes sense. Those letters, then, which are still feasible. It would also have been possible to make the same move with AIZIN, so two ways to get there. And probably more.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12 April 2012, 04:13 PM
diddy's Avatar
diddy diddy is offline
 
Join Date: 07 March 2004
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 10,617
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy View Post
Huh? Either you guys are talking about something else, or you're confused. The letters that were played last are the letters in white (CCPULZG). The reason that there are 2 tiles in the player's rack is because there were only 2 tiles left in the game. Those are the tiles the player received after playing CCPULZG.
Your right - however Damian is still wrong when he said:

Quote:
Shenanigans. What letters could have been played to make that word? You can only play 7 letters at a time.
You can play more than 7 letters as long as they are part of a valid word - they are just made up of other tiles. The 7 tiles that you play do not have to be a word of themselves, they can be part of another word altogether.

I still think this is a setup or a fake in some way, the game is an exact duplicate already on the internet. It could be a valid game, but the odds are not in favor of it happening in a natural setting without cooperation at the least.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12 April 2012, 04:31 PM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
That makes sense. Those letters, then, which are still feasible. It would also have been possible to make the same move with AIZIN, so two ways to get there. And probably more.
No, it would not be possible to play AIZIN on that board (in the same place) because that would mean that that "CONCEPTU" would have already been on the board, and that is not a valid word.

It is possible to add "IZING" onto "CONCEPTUAL". Is that what you meant? That would not be worth 1469 points though. Only about 200 or so.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 14 April 2012, 12:32 PM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,270
Default

Now I can see it. The letters used were C C P U L Z G. They are in white and the existing letters are black.

But my question hasn't been answered. Can a bonus square be counted twice?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 14 April 2012, 07:28 PM
videoguy's Avatar
videoguy videoguy is offline
 
Join Date: 11 September 2006
Location: Clarence, NY
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Now I can see it. The letters used were C C P U L Z G. They are in white and the existing letters are black.

But my question hasn't been answered. Can a bonus square be counted twice?
No.
EDIT: Well, they are counted twice for the same play, when two words intersect at one of them. Maybe that's what you're asking.

Five of those seven letters are on bonus squares, BTW.

Last edited by videoguy; 14 April 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 22 April 2012, 11:19 AM
Ulkomaalainen Ulkomaalainen is offline
 
Join Date: 14 August 2009
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 88
Default

I don't know about WWF, but in the board gaming world (and since this is basically a board game, even if played on smartphones) contests of the kind "get the highest score for the green player after 3 moves" or suchlike are commonplace and usually explicitely allow for you to let all players work on the same goal with all chance events going the way they like it. So, depending on context, this may not be "cheating" at all.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 22 April 2012, 04:48 PM
diddy's Avatar
diddy diddy is offline
 
Join Date: 07 March 2004
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 10,617
Default

I don’t think that anyone doubts that if this happened it was set up by two players deliberately - you can do that in WWF and Scrabble (to select your opponent). If two friends can play ear bother deliberately, there is nothing stopping them from colluding.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 23 April 2012, 01:40 AM
Cervus's Avatar
Cervus Cervus is online now
 
Join Date: 21 October 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 19,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
If two friends can play ear bother deliberately
Is Ear Bother like a pass-the-earworm game?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pass this along to all your friends! snopes Snopes Spotting 0 15 January 2008 07:51 AM
Obesity contagious among friends Steve Eisenberg Medical 31 08 September 2007 02:48 PM
Friends vs. Best Friends Squishy0405 Inboxer Rebellion 4 06 April 2007 02:45 PM
Friends Squishy0405 Glurge Gallery 1 03 April 2007 12:14 AM
We Is Friends hambubba Glurge Gallery 13 06 February 2007 10:52 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.