snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 02 January 2012, 09:04 PM

Blow Your Top Needles found in Walmart clothes

Authorities say another syringe has been found in clothing from a Walmart store in Georgia, bringing the number of cases to 15 at the same store since late November.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...LWP_story.html
Old 02 January 2012, 10:07 PM

This reminds me of a series of incidents at a local Target that I used to work for. Over a period of a few months, an obviously disturbed woman proceeded to mysteriously slash all Barney (the purple dinosaur) merchandise that she could get a hold of. For the longest time, we never know who she was until we caught her in the act. Very weird.
Old 02 January 2012, 10:16 PM

I don't know if this happens to anybody else, but every freakin' time I buy a new shirt it's stuck full of pins!

Nick
Old 02 January 2012, 10:53 PM

Pins are normal for pre-folded things like long sleeved shirts that have to maintain certain things like collars and sleeves.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:34 AM

My mom made quite a few of my clothes when I was a kid, and she didn't always get all the pins out when she was finished. The first time I wore one dress she made me, I stuck my hands in the pocket and got a pin stuck in one of my fingers.
Old 03 January 2012, 06:34 AM

When I was 8 or 9 a pair of shorts I had developed a hole in the crotch, which my mom sewed up. She left the needle in accidently, and when I put them on...
Old 03 January 2012, 08:46 AM

Well, this is syringes, not needles. That's a bit more scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrosie View Post
When I was 8 or 9 a pair of shorts I had developed a hole in the crotch, which my mom sewed up. She left the needle in accidently, and when I put them on...
I've had a similar thing happen on a new pair of jeans. At the crotch, just where the seams meet in a thick lump of fabric, there was the tip of a sewing needle stuck. It had probably broken when going through that tough bit, and it had just enough tip sticking out to scratch me, but not prick me. Took me an entire day before I figured out why I was itching so badly...
Old 03 January 2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
I don't know if this happens to anybody else, but every freakin' time I buy a new shirt it's stuck full of pins!

Nick
It happens all the time. Can't someone do something about it?
Old 03 January 2012, 12:55 PM

Why? There is a reason they are their - so that the shirts stay folded for easier stocking. They are deliberately kept in.
Old 03 January 2012, 12:59 PM

Pst, Diddy! We're joking.
Old 03 January 2012, 01:46 PM

Sorry - hard to tell sometimes!
Old 03 January 2012, 03:25 PM

I've often seen them replaced with little plastic clip things placed over the fold. They're solid, so don't leave much of a mark, probably less than pins anyway. ETA; apparently they're called, wait for it, shirt packing clips. Who'da thunk.
Old 03 January 2012, 03:46 PM

Some shirts I've gotten have a tag saying how many pins there are in the shirt. I like that because I can be pretty sure I've gotten them all before I put it on.
Old 03 January 2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My mom made quite a few of my clothes when I was a kid, and she didn't always get all the pins out when she was finished. The first time I wore one dress she made me, I stuck my hands in the pocket and got a pin stuck in one of my fingers.
I remember a pretty pink dress I wore for the first time to church. I sat down--- and discovered that my grandmother had forgotten to take the pins out of the hem. Yeeeeeouch!
Old 03 January 2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrosie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I remember a pretty pink dress I wore for the first time to church. I sat down--- and discovered that my grandmother had forgotten to take the pins out of the hem. Yeeeeeouch!
Suddenly that pin in my finger doesn't seem like such a big deal.
Old 04 January 2012, 06:06 PM
fritos56

Bonsai Kitten Needles found in Walmart clothes

That's just really sick.I know they have cameras in Walmart, you would think they would catch the perpatator.It maybe the person is picking up the clothes,and going into the fitting room.There are no cameras in that area,so it would be easy to do without anyone catching on.

I work part time at TJMAXX in the fitting room. One time I found a steak knife between the little bench and the dresing room stall wall. I had checked all ten stalls for hangers and number cards earlier,and didn't see it.I think that a customer who tried on clothes had taken it out of a set of knives in housewares, and thenplaced it in her purse.The purpose was to use it to get off the security tags on the clothing.In fact, I gave the knife to the associate in housewares,and IT DID MATCH a set of steak knives that was missing one.Yeah I too hate those pins in dress shirts.Have to sweep them up every time guys try one on.And, I can never fold the shirt up and put it into the bag,like it came out,all nice and neat.
Old 13 January 2012, 01:04 AM

Dog

A couple of months ago, I bought a pair of slacks at our local Wal-Mart. There were any needles of any kind in them. And while I didn't notice any camera in my fitting room, these fitting rooms are kept under lock and key. In order to enter and try on clothes one has to summon a store clerk to unlock the place.

Barb Rainey
Old 13 January 2012, 07:25 PM

About 5 months ago at work I noticed all of these police and detectives showing up and then EMTS rushing a gurney to the back. I was trying to get the story and was told there was a customer who was stuck by what they described as a "used hypodermic needle" in the bathroom. The police where questioning people and then went to the AP office to watch the tapes to see if anyone coming out of the mens bathroom looked suspicious. By the time I was able to get the whole story I KNEW IT WAS BULLSH*T!
The customer told management that he reached into the paper toilet seat covers and got stuck by a needle. When he pulled his hand out,the needle was still attached and there was a note attached that said "you now have AIDS". I said "you know that's an urban legend right?" and everybody I told didn't believe me b/c they hadn't heard it. I told them trust me its crap. I told them to Google it on their phones. Sure enough about 2 hours later they call the store saying the police that followed him continued to question him over and over and they ran his name. It turned out that he had been fired from Walmart twice and felt like they owed him something and he was going to get it however he could. They charged him with about 8 charges including filing a false report.
Old 13 January 2012, 08:34 PM

I'd imagine that UL about AIDS needles being found in places is behind this whole thing. Some NFBSK-hole thinks it's funny to leave those in clothing in order to freak people out.
Old 20 March 2012, 03:19 PM
Chunkylovemuffin

Default Needles

I like to say I am from Cartersville, GA and shop at the Walmart where the needles were found. So far there has only been 3 or 4 instances where the needles were found, not 15. Only 2 people have been stuck, a child and a mother. They are having to wait 6 months to be tested. There was another incident in Newnan, GA, but it may have been a copy cat and an isolated incident.