snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 04 September 2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaDiddle View Post
My disagreement with you echoes your disagreement with me. As far as ignoring my disagreement, please do feel free. In fact, you can begin doing so at any time.

- P
Sounds like we've agreed to disagree. Or disagreed to agree. Or something. I shall commence.
Old 04 September 2011, 05:29 PM

I'm so proud of my little niece. (actually my cousin's daughter which makes her a second cousin I think, but it feels like she should be a niece) She's a high school senior this year. She posted a chastisement on her facebook telling everyone if they wanted to fight breast cancer, to DONATE TO BREAST CANCER instead of making stupid cryptic posts.

She's a smart, independent and critically thinking young person. We need more like her.

(maybe it wasn't a chastisement...but she did point out that giving money to the cure was the thing to do if you actually care about making cancer go away. Which, is true.)
Old 04 September 2011, 05:34 PM

She'd be your first cousin once removed. I know what you mean though. My mom's cousin was very important to me and felt like an aunt or grandma. "First cousin once removed" seemed distant and awkward.

So far I've gotten nothing but positive comments from my refuting of the meme.
Old 04 September 2011, 11:19 PM

I hate those lame-ass games and I never, ever play. How is it about "awareness" if you don't tell anyone WTF you are doing??
Old 04 September 2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaDiddle View Post
It's my FB page and it is my privilege to decide (judge) what's on it. Yes, they can put on theirs whatever they want, we (our pages) just won't be interacting.
Are you talking about people posting directly on your wall? I think lynnejanet is just talking about people posting their own status updates. There has to be some misunderstanding here or the posts don't make sense. Of course, it's entirely possible that the misunderstanding is mine.
Old 05 September 2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Why should it have to? No matter what you post in your Facebook status, it does very very little towards curing cancer (or "raising awareness", which seems to be all that needs to be done these days).
Absolutely agree. Participating in a bit of nonsense does nothing to actually help and neither does feeling smug and pointing out to someone that what they are doing isn't doing anything. If someone being silly on facebook is hurtful to you then by all means defriend them if ignoring it can't be your solution but pointing out the error of their ways does nothing more than put someone's back up - it's not going to buy an MRI machine.
Old 05 September 2011, 02:31 AM

I hope my friends care enough about me that they'll tell me when I'm doing something stupid.
Old 05 September 2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybill View Post
Absolutely agree. Participating in a bit of nonsense does nothing to actually help and neither does feeling smug and pointing out to someone that what they are doing isn't doing anything. If someone being silly on facebook is hurtful to you then by all means defriend them if ignoring it can't be your solution but pointing out the error of their ways does nothing more than put someone's back up - it's not going to buy an MRI machine.
It can be helpful to point out to people that something they are doing and promoting as "raising awareness" about breast cancer is really not doing much, and that if they are concerned about breast cancer there are lots of things they can do that would be much more effective. How kind or rude a person is about communicating that can obviously vary, but it doesn't "do nothing." There's nothing inherently wrong about people being silly on facebook. There is something wrong with directing people's desire to do something about breast cancer into something that serves no real purpose in that fight.

erwins
Old 07 September 2011, 04:09 PM
Tab1975

So many things wrong with this. Gawd. For one, I live in a very small town. If I had a dollar for every "did you know *insert name here* is pregnant?" texts I've gotten from this stupid game....

Second...as many people have mentioned, "Let's confuse the men"? How bout let's just alienate the men that get breast cancer? That's why so many don't speak up about it.

And lastly, and this is just me being bitter...I received this stupid game in my inbox with "it's that time of year again to promote breast cancer awareness!" It's September. Which is National OVARIAN Cancer Awareness. Forgotten every year, especially by the ACS.
Old 07 September 2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker View Post
{snip} Of course, it's entirely possible that the misunderstanding is mine.
I do think that is indeed the case. On my post, what's quoted below should clear the misunderstanding.

Quote:
{snip}... they can put on theirs whatever they want, we (our pages) just won't be interacting.
= P
Old 05 November 2011, 08:14 AM

I just got another one:
Quote:
It's that time of year again! It is time to raise awareness for Breast Cancer. We only have 2 days left!
Remember the status about our bra color or where we put our purse?? It made more people aware of the problem as it went viral on FB and made the news.
Don't tell anyone what the status means! Copy, and resend this message to all your girl friends, let's see if we can make it work like before, keep them guessing, let's see if we make the news!

The idea is to use you birthdate, month and day only, no year!

Write: "I am going to live in (see corresponding city for your BD month below) for (day of your BD) and a happy face

Ex. if your BD was on February 14th, then
" I am going to live in London for 14 months!!!!

January - Mexico
February - London
March - Miami
April - Dominican Republic
May - France
June - St. Petersburg
July - Austria
August - Germany
September - New York
October Amsterdam
November - Las Vegas
December - Colombia
Old 05 November 2011, 08:29 AM

France, Austria and Germany are cities?
Old 05 November 2011, 12:53 PM

Yes, they got demoted because Europe has enough countries.
Old 09 November 2011, 11:14 AM

It takes some doing to make a list of twelve cities and get six of them wrong.
Old 09 November 2011, 01:05 PM

Canada

I found this much more enlightening about women's cancers than any facebook status could.

http://www.cfl.ca/pink

Most of the teams and the league either turned their logo pink for the month of October, or had a pink portion of the logo. Each team did fund raising during the month for a specific cancer charity. Several of the players who had a personal connection to women's cancers did some awareness speeches and requests for support.

In the end, the most visible portion of the support was during the weekend of 21-22 October. All the players sported pink accoutrements (which were also for sale in the fan shops, with a portion going to women's cancer charities) for their league games.

Some photos of the games:

League logo turned pink for October.

In the background, all the sideline staff from the teams dressed in pink.

The accoutrements for the players were pink, supplied by Reebok.

More pink.

Officials with pink laces and whistles (and penalty flags).

And a picture of my team's logo and showing some of the other pink that was not necessarily league-wide. Pink piping on the uniform.

And here is a story behind one of the players promoting the movement.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/landry-arg...ones-with-pink

Much more effective, in my opinion, than a facebook status campaign for raising awareness and money.
Old 09 November 2011, 01:18 PM

Ugh, I was so annoyed by this latest one! I had one FB friend post that she would be going to the Dominican Republic. I had no idea it was one of these stupid games because she was the only person in my news feed to post anything like that. When I emailed her and asked her (in a nutshell) "WTF?" she forwarded me the FB message with the details.

Then last night, my husband's teenage cousin posted one of these ridiculous things as her status and I had to explain it to him. He and I agree that this whole thing is a special kind of stupid.
Old 09 November 2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Remember the status about our bra color or where we put our purse?? It made more people aware of the problem as it went viral on FB and made the news.
Don't tell anyone what the status means! Copy, and resend this message to all your girl friends, let's see if we can make it work like before, keep them guessing, let's see if we make the news!
Bolding mine. Logic fail.
Old 09 November 2011, 02:24 PM

From Nov 5
Quote:
It's that time of year again! It is time to raise awareness for Breast Cancer. We only have 2 days left!
Wait. What happens if breast cancer awareness is raised on November 8th? Does it not count anymore? Does it become anti-awareness.

OH NO! I've been made aware of breast cancer after the deadline. Will I die now?
Old 09 November 2011, 11:10 PM

I just got one sent to me with a bit added about "don't tell any MEN!!!!"

I read that and thought "no, because raising awareness of male breast cancer would be terrible, now wouldn't it?"

good grief.
Old 10 November 2011, 12:32 AM

The thing that annoys me is that they don't even get their cancer awareness months correct.
October was breast cancer awareness month November is Lung cancer awareness month, if you’re going to perpetuate stupid Facebook games in the name of awareness at least get your months rights.

One of my friend posted on her status that she was going to live in New York for 4 months, from reading this forum I immediately knew what she was on about. So while everyone else was replying with posts say “OMG!!!”, “You’re kidding, why?” etc I replied saying “November is actually lung cancer awareness month and given lung cancer is actually kills more people than any other cancer I’m sure donations to lung cancer charities would be most appreciated this month.” She deleted her update later that day.