snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Military

Old 24 May 2008, 07:04 AM

United States Chicken squadron

Comment: I am in the Marine Corps and there is a rumor that has persisted
in our ranks for quite a while, at least since WWII. The rumor stems from
the fact that during Japanese invasion of the Philippines the Marine Unit
under army command was forced to surrender and burned thier colors.
because of this the rumor is that the unit which has been reformed is not
allowed to ever set foot on American soil again.

The unit differs depending on who it is that you ask but I belive it
to be 4th Marine Regiment I know that they were the unit involved that
surrendered in that battle but I have been unable to find anything
satating anything to the point that they can or cannot come back to
american soil. I know they are based in Okinawa Japan right now. Is
there any validity to the rumor?
Old 24 May 2008, 07:26 AM

Only partially true. The capture of the unit and the burning of the colors happened as described; however, the whole bit about "never being allowed to return to American soil" is nonsense. The Regiment was reformed and reconstitued and eventually was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA as part of the 1st Marine Division as of 1951. From there they were relocated to K-Bay in Hawaii in 1955, and only relocated to Okinawa in 1972--due to force restructuring, and not the reasons described in the OP.

As it stands now, 4th Marines is a "cadred" regiment--the regimental headquarters does not "own" any subordinate battalions, bur rather "hosts" numerous battalions while they are on UDP to Oki. It's three historically subordinate rifle battalions are currently attached to other regiments in 1st MarDiv--all of which are stationed in CONUS. (1/4 is with 1st Marines at Pendleton, 2/4 is with 5th Marines also in Pendleton, and 3/4 is with 7th Marines at Twentynine Palms.) Kind of puts that old legend to rest.

Last edited by DesertRat; 24 May 2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 24 May 2008, 04:50 PM

They must send all the miscreants to Okinawa. There's also a UL that the 18th Air Wing's crest with a black rooster is due to the pilots in the unit evacuating their air base in Korea during the war and leaving all the enlisted behind to fend for themselves. Also partially true because the wing did move to Japan during the war, but I doubt they left the enlisted and officers who weren't air crew behind. Of course the Navy has White Beach on Okinawa, but no ships are stationed there because we're just that awesome and nobody has screwed up enough yet.
Old 29 May 2008, 08:20 PM
Delta-V

There was a similar tale told that the 1st Cavalry Divsion was chosen to remain in Korea after the war because their Colors were captured when the North Koreans supposedly overran the division headquarters. The tale probably stems from the 8th Cavalry (under the 1st Cav) being forced back with very heavy losses by North Korean troops in November, 1950 (they were heavily outnumbered). However, the 8th never lost their colors in that battle, although they did leave a large amount of equipment behind.
Old 29 May 2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-V View Post
However, the 8th never lost their colors in that battle, although they did leave a large amount of equipment behind.
Were they... recoiless rifles???
Old 30 May 2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
ASL sez: Were they... recoiless rifles???
I am not touching that one.

Ali "booby, the bad one..." Infree
Old 05 June 2008, 06:13 PM

Airplane

Comment: Serving in the U.S. Air Force, I have long heard about a "Chicken
Squadron." Rumor is the pilots of this squadron ran off in the face of an
oncoming North Korean onslaught. Instead of flying top cover for them,
they flew off, leaving the maintainers and other personnel to die horrible
deaths, to include torture and hanging by safety wire in the hangar. As it
stands, this squadron is not allowed to land on American soil (even though
an Air Force base is considered as such) until it proves itself.
I cannot find anything on the Web as to the veracity of this claim.
Obviously, the Air Force is not going to publish this info anywhere. I've
heard it could be the 67th FS out of Kadena AB, Japan, or the 26th FS.
I don't believe any of this, but it would be nice to have prooof to refute
the idiots who spread crap like this around.
Old 10 June 2008, 03:24 AM

Comment: I recently heard a story about the "ZZ squadron" in Korea.

So the story went goes, at some point durring the Korean War, a US airbase
was being overrun by North Korea. The pilots took off, but didn't take
the crew chiefs OR kill them (apparently they were instructed to do one or
the other if being overrun, to prevent the enemy from gaining knowledge of
US aircraft.)

Afterwards, the pilots and squadron was disgraced, the squadron was
renamed the "ZZ squadron," and no plane in that squadron can ever return
to the US.

I can not find anything about this on the internet. Any chance its true?
Old 10 June 2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
The pilots took off, but didn't take
the crew chiefs OR kill them (apparently they were instructed to do one or
the other if being overrun, to prevent the enemy from gaining knowledge of
US aircraft.)
Because enlisted are like cattle... They shoot horses don't they? Ug. There's actually an on going edit war on wikipedia on the Kadena AFB and the 18th Wing pages over whether or not this UL belongs on either page (not as a fact, but as a known UL about the wing). The wiki article still claims that the wing was temporarily relocated to Japan during the war, but I couldn't actually find a mention of it in the unit's history.
Old 26 November 2010, 05:28 AM
eaglebro

Default chicken squadron, korea

I was in Kunson Korea with the 336th tac ftr. wing in Feb. 68. We had left Semour Johnson AFB in 24hrs. because of the Plueblo incident. As I was standing in one of the hangers there with several others we were told to look up at the numerous strands of safety wire hanging from the hanger roof beams. We were told that exact story of the pilots taking off, not flying ground support for the enlisted men left on the ground. The enlisted men were supposedly hung by the safety wire we were seeing. I do not remember if we were being told this by one of our men or an ROK person. But looking up at all that wire and not thinking of another reason as to why it would be there sure has had me convinced for all these years. I believe I was told it was the 8th Ftr wing and that was why there is yellow in their emblem and that they could never go back to the states. I had just returned in Sept. 67 from a year with the 8th and it did have yellow in the Wing's emblem. The
8th at that time was far from cowards. We were known as Col. Old's Wolfpac and had shot down more migs than any other Wing. Which I believe held thru to the end of the war. Col. Olds was a great commander. He was not awarded an ace but he was. He had been promoted to Gen. when he would arrive back in the states so was told to stay out of dog fights, he was too important a person. I saw a big gathering of men around two F4's that had just taxied back in. There was a cellabration for a downed mig. A red star was being painted on an air intake. Col. Olds wingman was getting the credit but there wasn't a single missle missing from that plane. I believe two were missing from Col. Olds plane. So you tell me.
Old 29 November 2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglebro View Post
As I was standing in one of the hangers there with several others we were told to look up at the numerous strands of safety wire hanging from the hanger roof beams. We were told that exact story of the pilots taking off, not flying ground support for the enlisted men left on the ground. The enlisted men were supposedly hung by the safety wire we were seeing. I do not remember if we were being told this by one of our men or an ROK person. But looking up at all that wire and not thinking of another reason as to why it would be there sure has had me convinced for all these years.
So you honestly believe there was a mass execution of US enlisted men, by hanging, during the Korean War? Really? Out of curiosity, whichside do you think carried out this mass execution?
Old 01 December 2010, 10:05 PM
eaglebro

Default hanging by safety wire

I honostly don't believe they were hung while alive, more to put on a show. I entered the Viet Nam war 2 weeks after my 19th birthday, I felt we were the guys with the white hats, never doing anything wrong, nor telling lies. I had been so whitewashed by those so incurrect and bias history books. I quickly learned how dishonest and currupt our gov. was/is I wouldn't doubt anything that may have been done by that/this government.
What do you feel is the reason for the safety wire and stories? Wish I could remember if it was one of our guys telling the story or a ROK officer.
Old 03 December 2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglebro View Post
What do you feel is the reason for the safety wire and stories?
Propaganda to make soldiers feel that the enemy was subhuman so they wouldn't feel guilty about killing them?
Old 03 December 2010, 04:20 PM

I don't know of any organization more fiercely protective of its urban legends than the United States military. I think part of it is to build unit cohesion, but I also think GenYus is definitely on to something.

eaglebro, do you have any more information about when that incident may have taken place, like dates and/or unit involved?
Old 03 December 2010, 04:43 PM

How about the safety wire was just... There? Maybe, just maybe it had nothing to do with the Korean War at all and was just a convenient place to store lengths of safety wire without having it lying about the deck getting all tangled up?
Old 03 December 2010, 06:42 PM

Mostly unrelated, but this thread title made me smile. My dad's old pietenpol (an open cockpit plane) was dubbed the chicken squadron at an airshow once. They took the name and ran with it, painting a chicken wearing a helmet and goggles on the side. I have a lot of good memories of that plane
Old 12 August 2011, 05:23 PM

Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
So you honestly believe there was a mass execution of US enlisted men, by hanging, during the Korean War? Really? Out of curiosity, whichside do you think carried out this mass execution?
I know this is old, but I worked with some Air Force dudes, and this is frequently mentioned as true in the Air Force military police training school.

This (unsourced) wiki entry on the USAF's Combat Arms Training & Maintenance airmen references a mass hanging at Kimpo Air Base:

Quote:
During the Korean War, several incidents occurred which called attention to the small arms training provided to Air Force personnel. The most significant was the tragedy at Kimpo Air Base, Korea, which was overrun by a numerically superior Chinese communist force. The Air Police Squadron was so overwhelmed that they were forced to fight a rear guard action before being annihilated. The general base population was then easily defeated before reinforcements arrived to drive the enemy back. The remaining personnel found alive by the Chinese were hung in the main hangar on Kimpo. This hangar still stands today as a memorial to those who died without a chance to fight.
Old 14 August 2011, 01:58 PM

Does it provide a cite, a reliable one? A wiki entry is no better than a post on a message board absent a credible source. Captured US servicemen certainly were executed in the field during the war, there's one particularly famous picture of a GI lying dead on the side of the road with his hands still tied behind his back, but I have never seen evidence of any mass hangings of US personnel, or even heard such a claim outside of this message board and apparently now your wiki entry, which could have been made by anyone and is about as authoritative as your post without a reliable source provided.

Last edited by ASL; 14 August 2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:26 PM

Default 18th Air Wing UL

There may be more to the UL about the 18th Air Wing leaving all the enlisted behind to fend for themselves. I did not think that the 18th was in Osan ABK from what I have read but I will tell this story as it happened to me. When the Pueblo was sized in Jan of 1968 the 558th TFS was sent to Kunsan from Cam Ranh Bay Vietnam. F-105’ were sent to Osan and I went from Kunsan to Osan for a week for Arm and De-arm on the 105’s. When we showed up in Korea it was like we had stepped back in time to the Korean war. I sent pictures to my dad who had been in the 6147th mosquito squadron, and he told me all the buildings looked the same as when they had left. I still have my parka with the WWII army air corps patch they gave me when we got off the plane from Vietnam. At Osan there was an old locked up hanger with windows blacked out. I asked about it and I was told this was where the following happened. The North Koreans were coming and were going to overrun the base. The officers loaded as many of the officers as they could in the aircraft and flew the aircraft out leaving the enlisted people behind. A big firefight developed when the North Korean’s tried to overrun the base and captured 50 or so of the air force personnel and proceeded to hang them with safety wire in the before mentioned hanger. Seeing what was happening the air force personnel made a charge and drove the North Koreans back long enough to try and save the hanging men. I was told only one man lived. The hanger was sealed up and never used again after the war with the safety wire still hanging from the rafters. Two years later I was in the NCO club at Yokota AB Japan when I saw a old drunk sergeant with a huge scare on his throat. I ask the man next to me who he was and what happened to him. He ask me if I had heard the story of the 18th fighter wing and I said yes I had. He said “Well he’s the guy who lived. He stays drunk most of the time and they are just waiting for him to retire.” I later saw a pilot that was in the 18th and I ask him if he new the story about the patch with the surrendering chicken and where I could get a patch. He said “yes he new the story” and pulled the Velcro patch off his flight suit and said “Here” I still have the patch. The story goes that the 18th can never go home and I know that it is true that the 18th has never been stationed in the united states. I really would like to no if the story is true. If anyone can add to the story I would like to find out.
Old 08 November 2014, 02:24 PM

http://www.kadena.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123184241

Quote:
First, the emblem of the Fighting Cock is described as a surrendering chicken, transposed on a yellow background for cowardice. Second, some believe, the "ZZ" tailcode branded it as the last and lowest wing of the Air Force. Third, the myth claims that the 18th Wing was prohibited from taking a home station in the continental United States.

The story makes for some interesting gossip. But none of it is true. The 18th Fighter Bomber Wing served heroically in the previous conflicts. Just as importantly, the three characteristics are unrelated and are proud marks of distinction rather than any sort of badges of shame.

The 18th Wing emblem with the Fighting Cock was created in 1927, and approved in 1931--long before 18th pilots went to war. Cockfighting is a particularly brutal sport that pits aggressive birds in mortal combat.

The 18th Pursuit Group officers chose the Fighting Cock for its "fight until you prevail" reputation. The emblem design signifies courage, aggressiveness, and confidence, characteristics the early 18th Pursuit Group members embraced. The motto Unguibus et Rostro translates to "With Talons and Beak," a unique gamecock twist to the more popularly known "With Tooth and Nail" expression of fighting to the end.

The ZZ tailcode's origins date after the Korean War and have nothing to do with combat performance. In 1968, the Pacific Air Forces assigned a randomly generated letter to each of its 24 wings. The 18th Wing received "Z." Each flying squadron was assigned another randomly generated letter. The two letters were then combined and painted on the squadrons' respective aircraft. Within the 18th Wing, there was: "ZA" for the 12th Tactical Fighter Squadron; "ZG" for the 67th Tactical Fighter Squadron; "ZL" for the 44th Tactical Fighter Squadron; and "ZZ" for the 15th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron.

By 1972, the Air Force reorganized the tailcode system and began to assign two-letter codes to each wing. The 18th Wing would have received "KA" for Kadena during this renaming, but the abbreviation was already in use by the 457th Tactical Airlift Wing in Vietnam. As an alternative, 18th Wing officials and the Pacific Air Forces commander requested the 15th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron's popular "ZZ" markings for the entire wing. In 1975, the 18th Wing officially received its ZZ tailcode designation.

Finally, it is true that the 18th Wing has never been stationed stateside. However, this history is not shameful or due to some rumored banishment. In fact, the 5th and 13th Air Forces also have been stationed exclusively outside the United States. From its origins in Hawaii in the 1920s, the 18th Wing has continuously played a key role in Pacific military affairs through three major US conflicts and countless regional emergencies.