snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 15 March 2011, 07:47 PM

The iodine stuff is bugging me! I've done research on that very topic for a self-help fact sheet set at work, and every reference I found (from CDC, etc., not drbrownstein.com) says not to freak out and take KI at the first mention of fallout. KI should only be taken at the recommendation of a doctor - don't just run out and buy it and self-administer. Allow me to add to the chorus of those shaking our heads and muttering, "idiots."

Quote:
- Since there is no way to know at the time of the explosion whether radioactive iodine was used in the explosive device, taking KI would probably not be beneficial
- KI cannot prevent radioactive iodine from entering the body. KI only protects the thyroid gland and does not provide protection from any other radioactive material or protect other parts of the body from exposure
- You should only take KI when directed to do so by public health officials or emergency management officials. You would be notified whether or not it is advisable to take KI through an Emergency Alert System (EAS) message, and would be provided instructions for doing so.
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp

ETA: I can't find anything stating that Fukushima uses iodide as fuel in its reactors (has anyone else?) Therefore, the KI is useless in the first place, as it only protects from radioactive iodine.
Old 15 March 2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola shoes View Post
ETA: I can't find anything stating that Fukushima uses iodide as fuel in its reactors (has anyone else?) Therefore, the KI is useless in the first place, as it only protects from radioactive iodine.
The iodide would be a by-product of the nuclear reaction - so yes, it would be present, but not as fuel.

The quote you had might have been referring to a dirty bomb, which may or may not have iodide in it.
Old 16 March 2011, 12:13 AM

Default Radiation fears spark rush for iodine pills

Panic over the radiation from the quake-crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant in Japan is sparking a sudden surge in sales of iodine pills around the world -- even as health experts warn that the pills may be of little use.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...-pills-110315/
Old 16 March 2011, 12:20 AM

I wish everyone would just measure radiation in bananas. It would make a lot more sense to me. (IIRC, one chest x-ray = four bananas.)

Anyway, people running out to take iodine is pretty ignorant. It's just going to end up with some people getting iodine poisoning, and then no stock being available in the unlikely chance that some people will really need it. (The article also mentions people were talking about drinking iodine antiseptic. )
Old 16 March 2011, 12:28 AM

Holy mother of roffle, that map is hilarious. OBTW WEST COAST UR AL DED LOL. At least I'll only get nausea before I join the "no survivors" list.
Old 16 March 2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
Anyway, people running out to take iodine is pretty ignorant. It's just going to end up with some people getting iodine poisoning
Looks like the Darwin Awards might need a group award this year.
Old 16 March 2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
(The article also mentions people were talking about drinking iodine antiseptic. )
That crossed my mind as a concern too!! I don't see emails and warnings that specifically mention KI; sometimes it just says iodine, and to a person who is not familiar with the whole concept, well...yikes.
Old 17 March 2011, 12:58 AM

Okay before the panic sets in an people in the U.S. board up their homes and stock up on iodine pills. Take a deep breath, and ask yourself. How much radiation is spreading through Japan? Has it spread anywhere else yet? It has been over a week now.
Old 17 March 2011, 01:32 AM

True, but none of the damaged plants are stable, I believe, and there is still danger of something worse happening. At least what I can gather from the news websites.
Old 17 March 2011, 01:44 AM

Icon22 US fears worsening Japan crisis

A top US nuclear safety official said late on Wednesday that the situation in Japan was worse than officials there had suggested.

Gregory Jaczko, head of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission said his organisation believed one of the damaged reactors at the Fukushima plant – number four – had run dry and was emitting “extremely high” radiation levels.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/66f865a6-4...44feab49a.html
Old 20 March 2011, 09:59 PM

Icon81 Radiation Dose Chart

http://www.xkcd.com/radiation/
Old 21 March 2011, 03:52 AM

I know, this is terrible, and I probably shouldn't even think it, but it occurred to me that the map should have zones predicting the effect: Zone 1: Moths grow to gigantic size; singing twin girls shrink. Zone 2: enormous pterodactyls awaken within extinct volcanoes. Zone 3: fire-breathing dinosaurs are revived in the depths of the ocean. Zone 4: Zombies rise from tombs. Zone 5: Firefly is renewed for a season on the Sci-Fi channel....

I know, I know. I'm ashamed of myself.

And I have donated to disaster relief in penance.
Old 21 March 2011, 04:41 AM

not before posting the new zoning regs to facebook, I hope?
Old 21 March 2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Why does a hand X-ray give you 5 times the radiation as an arm X-ray? I'd think it would be the other way as because the arm is bigger and it would require a stronger beam as the tissue to penetrate is thicker.
Old 22 March 2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Why does a hand X-ray give you 5 times the radiation as an arm X-ray? I'd think it would be the other way as because the arm is bigger and it would require a stronger beam as the tissue to penetrate is thicker.
It may be because the number of bones in the hand require more detail.

It's been quite a while since I've need a limb x-rayed, but I seem to recall that the machine may be further away when x-raying the length of a limb? When I had my foot x-rayed, the machine was adjusted to be quite close, almost touching my foot. I don't think that was the case when I had my leg or my spine x-rayed. Similar to how you have to move away with a camera to fit more in the frame but be near for a good close-up.
Old 22 March 2011, 04:13 PM

I guess I always assumed the machine put out less radiation and/or emitted for a shorter period of time when it was closer like that.