Comment: I am wondering if this picture is for real, and if it is, where
and when did that happen??

Old 10 February 2011, 05:20 PM

Second photo from the other side:

Looks like it might have been in Taiwan
"Event occurred in April 2010 in vicinity of Keelung City"
http://geopathology.posterous.com/ou...lide-in-taiwan
Old 10 February 2011, 05:20 PM

If that much land had really moved, I'd expect to see more dirt and bare land around it - it looks like it didn't come from anywhere, but that could be out of the frame. The cars stopped on the road make it seem like obviously something is in the road, but probably not to this extent. I've never seen a landslide that moved a whole hunk of earth like that, trees and everything... but I have limited experience with landslides

ETA: Ah, the second photo shows more exposed earth and such... still looks crazy!
Old 10 February 2011, 05:26 PM

And here's an 'after' photo when they're starting to remove the landslide:

http://newshopper.sulekha.com/taiwan...to_1286042.htm
(Site has pop-ups)
Old 11 February 2011, 01:14 AM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola shoes View Post
If that much land had really moved, I'd expect to see more dirt and bare land around it - it looks like it didn't come from anywhere, but that could be out of the frame. The cars stopped on the road make it seem like obviously something is in the road, but probably not to this extent. I've never seen a landslide that moved a whole hunk of earth like that, trees and everything... but I have limited experience with landslides
I remember seeing a video on the news a while back that someone had taken of a landslide in action on a mountain slope. A large section of trees appeared to be sliding down the slope in one big chunk, as if they and the soil underneath were riding on a great big sled. The trees didn't even seem to lean as the mass descended down. Perhaps the intertangled roots kept them verticle as the mass slid. It was very bizarre looking, I would have expected to see the trees going in every direction.
Old 11 February 2011, 01:35 AM

That's pretty amazing, frogpond! That's a good thought though; I'm sure the roots do hold a lot of that together.

I found this aerial video from a news broadcast - obviously have no idea what they're saying, but they give some scale and a 360 view: Video. It also says 2-4 cars were feared to be buried.

I'm curious how fast it went due to the cars. How long did it take to creep across the highway, or was it just whoosh...

ETA: Also, here is a satellite photo of what is assumed to be the location (a "before" picture).

ETA2: And a wider shot of the OP.

Last edited by granola shoes; 11 February 2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11 February 2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond View Post
I remember seeing a video on the news a while back that someone had taken of a landslide in action on a mountain slope. A large section of trees appeared to be sliding down the slope in one big chunk, as if they and the soil underneath were riding on a great big sled. The trees didn't even seem to lean as the mass descended down. Perhaps the intertangled roots kept them verticle as the mass slid. It was very bizarre looking, I would have expected to see the trees going in every direction.
Watching a landslide in action is freaky and scary, even if it's just a video. The ground just shouldn't do that.

Here's one such video:

There's many more similar videos on youtube.
Old 11 February 2011, 11:26 PM

Eek, it's like flowing lava! It's sort of creeping but damn, and WTF can you do about it? That is scary stuff.

ETA: Oh yeah, and just after I first saw this thread and made those posts yesterday, my mom forwarded me an email with a bunch of ZOMG/LOL/WTF pictures - the OP was included! Cue Twilight Zone music!

ETA2: There appears to be an unusually high number of acronyms in this post. And this afterthought added another!
Old 12 February 2011, 11:44 AM

I need Twilight Zone music too! Yesterday I found out that our freeway has been closed, due to fears that recent weather may cause a landslide...and then I came here and saw this thread! Oooooh.
Old 12 February 2011, 07:17 PM

mr. shoes was watching an episode of SG-U and one of the characters was wearing a YOU ARE HERE shirt. Later we watched Dhani Tackles the Globe and he was wearing the same shirt. Whoaaaaaaa.
Old 13 February 2011, 01:28 AM

I know the picture in the OP is real, but I just can't wrap my brain around it. That much land moving that much just boggles in the mind in a way I can't comprehend.

I feel terrible for the people who got trapped. What a horrible way to go.
Old 14 February 2011, 06:07 AM

The aftermath of a landslide in Western Sweden in 1977.

http://www.gvc2.gu.se/geo/kvartar/quick/index.htm
Old 14 February 2011, 04:06 PM

That Swedish landslide of 1977 is more of what we, the general public, expect to see after a landslide - mass destruction, houses demolished, obvious "OMG - this was a landslide!" What makes the OP so amazing is that it looks like a hill just shifted a few hundred feet to the left. Trees are vertical, grass is in place; heck, you still see what looks like a walking path in the middle!