snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 03 December 2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs View Post
A well aimed swipe across the nose generally discourages a dog from being too over-enthusiastic where cats are concerned... especially if that swipe has five very sharp claws on the end of it.

When I got a kitten and introduced her to my dog he decided to have a good sniff. The kitten didn't take too kindly to that, and scratched his nose for him. He never bothered her again.
And sometimes the cats find other ways to express themselves. My dog Abby (100 lb. yellow lab) was once playfully sniffing around my kitten Grissom (who was a four-pound baby at the time). Grissom's front legs are slightly deformed and therefore not really good for attacking, so when Abby's nose came for his butt, Grissom drew himself up and kicked her in the nose with his back leg. Abby was so startled that she actually looked at him for a second, and then walked away from him, probably crushed that the kitten didn't want to be her Super Best Friend (not to worry; she renewed her efforts the next day and now both Grissom and his brother have a grudging tolerance for her ).
Old 04 December 2008, 12:17 AM

I've seen the picture in the OP with the caption, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."
Old 04 December 2008, 12:36 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I really misunderstood the thread title. I thought the German shepherds were human shepherds from Germany. I asked myself, 'What is unusual about a shepherd watching a cat walk by?'
I must admit that so did I, so I had to find something suitable and came up with this:

Old 05 December 2008, 05:08 PM
kaemka77

Dog

I don't know if this photo is real, but it could be. I'm a service dog handler (I'm disabled) and he can ignore this level of distraction when working. He'll stay in a sit-stay even if you drop a steak on a floor next to him (and he cares for steaks much more than for cats).
So I could imagine this photo is made during working dog training. This level of obedience is not unusual and I would in fact expect it from every canine member of a K9 unit (sadly, it's not always the case).
Old 07 March 2010, 11:50 PM
gardenwife

Thanks for the replies! I thought I'd replied to you all, but now realize my browser must have bombed and it never was posted way back when.

An acquaintance claims to have trained these dogs and to own one of the dogs in the photo; however, this person has a history of sometimes elaborate story telling. So, I hoped to find out where this might have been taken and who the photographer was.

All in the spirit of debunking untruths!
Old 08 March 2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
One of my coworkers trained helper dogs. They were very happy to find a cat to bring to the training sessions that loved to torture the dogs, especially after finding out the dogs got in trouble reacting to them.
Hee, this sounds like my cat. Toby knows very well my friend's Shepherd is scared of him, and the shepherd will walk away if Toby comes close to him.
So there's nothing more Toby likes to do than walking past the shepherd as close as possible, especially if the shepherd is comfortly dozing on the floor
Old 08 March 2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew of Ware View Post
I really misunderstood the thread title. I thought the German shepherds were human shepherds from Germany. I asked myself, 'What is unusual about a shepherd watching a cat walk by?' (Unless of course it was a big cat, like a lion, which was after his sheep - but even I am clever enough to know that there are not many wild lions in Germany.)
Heh. I imagine us Americans would have similar issues hearing about Alsatians - if, of course, we'd ever heard of Alsace in the first place.
Old 08 March 2010, 08:24 AM

Aside from the people who live there has anyone heard of Alsace? I know Marcel Marceau was from there, but he never talked about it.

Last edited by Eddylizard; 08 March 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08 March 2010, 09:00 AM

Alsace (German: Elsass) is well known across Germany, especially for it's wines and it's cuisine. Note the Flammkuchen (Tarte flambée).

Don "now I'm hungry" Enrico
Old 08 March 2010, 09:09 AM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Aside from the people who live there has anyone heard of Alsace? I know Marcel Marceau was from there, but he never talked about it.
My parents were kids during World War II and they told me that during those times there was a push to call German Shepherds "Alsatians." However, I've never looked into this matter to see if it's anything more than an urban legend.
Brian
Old 08 March 2010, 09:25 AM

I wasn't really serious, before all Alsatians and their fans rise up and throw me to the dogs.
Old 08 March 2010, 09:32 AM

Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Alsace (German: Elsass) is well known across Germany, especially for it's wines and it's cuisine.
Choucroute garnie, yummy!
Old 08 March 2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
My parents were kids during World War II and they told me that during those times there was a push to call German Shepherds "Alsatians." However, I've never looked into this matter to see if it's anything more than an urban legend.
They usually are called Alsatians in the UK, but I don't know if it has anything to do with WWII. (Of course, if they really are from Alsace they'd be French Shepherds these days. Perhaps not when named though.)
Old 08 March 2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
They usually are called Alsatians in the UK, but I don't know if it has anything to do with WWII. (Of course, if they really are from Alsace they'd be French Shepherds these days. Perhaps not when named though.)
AIUI it really was to do with in being not-PC to call anything "German", but it pre-dates WWII as some of my pre-WWII 1930s books calls them Alsatians. For some strange reason, people tend to call the shorthairs "Alsatians" but will call the longhairs "German Shepherds" as though they are entirely different breeds..
Old 08 March 2010, 09:53 AM

I've always used Alsatian and German Shepherd interchangably - Alsatian does flow off the tongue a bit easier though.
Old 08 March 2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Given the importance of that region in the politics surrounding the world wars, yes, of course I know about it. You can't understand the world wars without being aware of it.
Old 08 March 2010, 02:19 PM

Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
Brian
Wikipedia notes that the breed was renamed in England due to anti-German sentiment after World War I, not II. The breed was apparently only introduced to the country in 1919 and they didn't want to burden it with thoughts of sinking the Lusitania (IME very few dogs try to do that) or the Zimmerman letter (which is silly because most dogs can't even read, let alone write).
Old 08 March 2010, 02:23 PM

Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick View Post
... (which is silly because most dogs can't even read, let alone write).
I have met some bitches that can.
Old 08 March 2010, 07:08 PM

Wolf

I didn't know that. Perhaps we should call them Freedom Dogs instead. Hmm, that doesn't alliterate and might be anachronistic for WW1. Duty Dogs? Subjugation Shepherds?
Old 18 November 2012, 12:58 PM

Hello Kitty Minstrel, resident cat

The photo is from the book, "Big Dogs, Little Dogs - The World of Our Canine Companions", by Arts and Entertainment Network and is a companion volume to the A & E program airing in 1998. The caption to the photo in the book reads: "Minstrel, resident cat of a British Police Dog School, gets proper respect from fledgling Canine Corps." Photo is credited to Corbis-Bettmann. Book published by Gt Publishing Corporation, 1998. Large oversized book can be purchased at Amazon.com for a penny!