snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 08 January 2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Duck View Post
Let's be brutually frank. There's no way in hell this started out as a bid to "raise awareness" for anything other than masturbatory materials starring your female friends. So getting upset that men weren't included in what has turned out to be one of the stupidest games on FB, and this is including Fish Life, isn't really worth it. Breast cancer has all the awareness it's ever going to get. What it actually needs is funding, something this game can't do and wasn't originally aiming for anyway. Like I said before, I think this says more about your female friends than the game itself.

I apologize to all those who play Fish Life.
Nevermind, Mama Duck made my point better than me anyway.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Let's be brutually frank. There's no way in hell this started out as a bid to "raise awareness" for anything other than masturbatory materials starring your female friends.
You can that that as many times as you want. It doesn't matter. It's become something else. ETA: You yourself said
Quote:
And if this was actually an "awareness" game, your aner would be well directed. However, that doesn't appear to be the case.
Quote:
So getting upset that men weren't included in what has turned out to be one of the stupidest games on FB, and this is including Fish Life, isn't really worth it.
I was expressing my distaste with it. That's what this forum is for, right? I'll keep in mind, however, that next time something irks me, before I post, I should weigh the level of annoyance against how much it will annoy other people to hear about it.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post
I think what also has to be kept in mind is that there were several versions of the game going on--one of which (and the one I got) was a more simple, "Hey, gals, just post the color of your bra in your status," with no mention of cancer. Seemed silly and goofy, so I did, passed it on, and didn't think much on it, since it looked like a lot of people were already in on the game (men included, since some of my guy friends were posting stuff like, "Hairy")
That's the version I got, too. *shrug* I guess I fail to see what the big deal is. Maybe because I didn't get the cancer one?

I made a post this AM about Breastfeeding reducing your chances of getting breast cancer in both yourself and your children and how the longer a woman nurses, the more beneficial it is.

I guess I just fail to see what the ruckus is all about.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
You can that that as many times as you want. It doesn't matter. It's become something else.
I know people are trying to mutate it into something else. But it's so stupid at its core, it can't mutate. Again, what about all of us experienced the game differently?
Quote:
I was expressing my distaste with it. That's what this forum is for, right? I'll keep in mind, however, that next time something irks me, before I post, I should weigh the level of annoyance against how much it will annoy other people to hear about it.
You can rant about whatever the hell you feel like. But people are always going to comment. And you may not like all the comments. This doesn't make either side "less" in some way. I commented on what I saw as you getting upset with reasons why you probably shouldn't take it so personally. You don't see things that way. Doesn't make either of us wrong for having posted.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Doesn't make either of us wrong for having posted.
But people have been dismissing my experiences by telling me not to be annoyed by it. I got the cancer one. My friends are treating it as the cancer one. I'm annoyed by the people who are treating it as a cancer awareness thing. I don't care if women want to post their bra colour on their statuses. But the women who treat it as a cancer awareness haha-the-boys-don't-get-it thing annoy me. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
But people have been dismissing my experiences by telling me not to be annoyed by it. I got the cancer one. My friends are treating it as the cancer one. I'm annoyed by the people who are treating it as a cancer awareness thing. I don't care if women want to post their bra colour on their statuses. But the women who treat it as a cancer awareness haha-the-boys-don't-get-it thing annoy me. I don't see why it wouldn't.
Ok, honestly, I didn't get that you were merely annoyed. Your initial posts implied that you were personally offended by this game which seemed a very strong reaction to a very stupid game. Annoying, I can get on board with. Hell, I'm annoyed, but just in general as I didn't receive the cancer one at first. And you're right to be annoyed with your friends as that's severely juvenile behavior.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:39 PM

Okay, suppose there were one or several guys that got a bit of a thrill from women telling their bra colors - does that make him/them "pervs"?
Old 08 January 2010, 04:42 PM

On the sneaky perv scale I would consider this whole thing pretty innocuous.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:43 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
...what frustrates me are the ones not mentioned as often. Colorectal, pancreas, lung not related to smoking, bone. Those seem ignored.
Casey, I am not trying to cause offense, but you may not be old enough to have had experience with an utterly male-dominated medical and medical-research establishment.

The cancers you mention affect both men and women. Therefore, research has been directed at them as long as cancer has been defined as such. Research on perceived "female" diseases has often been, until relatively recently, scarce.

One statistic which I have heard (and cannot cite, so take it as you will) is that as high as eighty percent of female deaths attributed to lung cancer before 1930 were actually mestastized breast cancer -- doctors (almost exclusively male) couldn't tell the difference and/or didn't care. Gender bias in medicine is nothing new -- Harvard Medical (est. 1782) did not admit female students until after WWII; Yale Medical (est. 1810) did not have a female faculty member until 1961. Combine that with racial bias (the deadly "triple-negative" breast cancer tumor type is far more common in blacks and hispanics than in whites, white women are more likely to get breast cancer but black women are more likely to die from it), and you get a medical establishment which, until relatively recently, didn't care to spend its precious research dollars on "female" problems.

The Komen Foundation was founded in 1982 and IMHO deserves a great deal of the credit for the current level of breast cancer awareness. IIRC, you were also founded in 1982 -- you don't remember a time when breast cancer was underdiagnosed and under-treated. You don't remember a time when a double radical mastectomy was the first step after a cancer diagnosis, not the last resort.

ETA: I think Katie Couric has done a great deal to raise awareness of colorectal cancer in the last few years -- is there anyone who doesn't know that colonoscopies are recommended every ten years for people over 50?

Four Kitties

Last edited by Four Kitties; 08 January 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:46 PM

If it is a kink, I've got no issue with playing along.
Old 08 January 2010, 04:58 PM

Royalty

I've been seeing women post colours on thier status and gathered it was about bra. The reason I dind't know.

So I've added this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie Witch View Post
From ACS: "In 2009, an estimated 192,370 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed among women, as well as an estimated 62,280 additional cases of in situ breast cancer.... Although breast cancer in men is a rare disease....Men are more likely than women to be diagnosed with advanced disease and thus have poorer survival."
as my status. Thanks AW!
Old 08 January 2010, 05:03 PM
AzureLion

Quote:
Ok, honestly, I didn't get that you were merely annoyed. Your initial posts implied that you were personally offended by this game which seemed a very strong reaction to a very stupid game. Annoying, I can get on board with. Hell, I'm annoyed, but just in general as I didn't receive the cancer one at first. And you're right to be annoyed with your friends as that's severely juvenile behavior.
Well, to ostensibly be doing this "for breast cancer," whatever that means, but to say "Don't tell the boys, tee-hee!" seems awfully dismissive of the whole "breast cancer" part of the equation. Since MapleLeaf is personally related to a male breast cancer survivor, I'd say he has a right to be offended. But yeah, I don't think any of us is really offended, or has taken it personally, or whatever. It's just so eyerollingly STUPID.

For what it's worth, today I posted that men who get breast cancer are more likely to die from it, per those ACS stats earlier. I've been largely ignored thus far. Maybe I spoiled the fun.
Old 08 January 2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
ETA: I think Katie Couric has done a great deal to raise awareness of colorectal cancer in the last few years -- is there anyone who doesn't know that colonoscopies are recommended every ten years for people over 50?

Four Kitties
More often if you have a family history of it.
Old 08 January 2010, 05:07 PM

This reminds me of a captain Kangaroo song.
Red and yellow and pink and green
Purple and orange and blue.

What is it with some people that look for pervs in a positive thing?
Old 08 January 2010, 05:12 PM

I didn't really know about the cancer "awareness" or "no boys allowed" until later, I was just bored at home and the voyeur in me was interested. And hey, impromtu discussions on nice bras and where to find them are always fun for me. I'm fairly certain my circle of friends (mostly nurses) that participated are about as aware as one can be regarding that form of cancer.
Old 08 January 2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I don't think it rises to the level of sexist exclusion because it can't lift itself out of juvenile and stupid. Honestly, to get to sexist, it'd have to evolve some.
Jumping off your post to agree and to say I'm not sure why it matters so much that some people on facebook are doing something silly. Oh my, silliness on facebook? Stop the presses! And here I was thinking facebook was supposed to be serious and terribly important .

A couple of my relatives all played along with this game BTW at least when it was posting about their bra colours anyhow - some are nurses - and all have been touched by breast cancer, among other close relatives and friends, we have a cousin, a mother of three, who was recently diagnosed. They really don't need anyone lecturing them on how they should be using their posts on facebook to educate people. That's not what most of them are on facebook for.
Old 08 January 2010, 05:20 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PallasAthena View Post
More often if you have a family history of it.
And more often if you have risk factors aside from or in addition to family history. The every-10-years-after-50 recommendation is for the general population.

Four Kitties
Old 08 January 2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie View Post
A couple of my relatives all played along with this game BTW - some are nurses - and all have been touched by breast cancer, among other close relatives and friends, we have a cousin, a mother of three, who was recently diagnosed. They really don't need anyone lecturing them on how they should be using their posts on facebook to educate people. That's not what most of them are on facebook for.
Jumping off from your psot as well. My mother and my mother in law both survived breast cancer. I'm totally aware of breat cancer. I too do not turn to Facebook to educate my friends and family but to play Mafia Wars and annoy people with my status updates concerning the weather.
Old 08 January 2010, 05:24 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

status-a-chow
Old 08 January 2010, 05:26 PM

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Kitties View Post
Casey, I am not trying to cause offense, but you may not be old enough to have had experience with an utterly male-dominated medical and medical-research establishment.

The cancers you mention affect both men and women. Therefore, research has been directed at them as long as cancer has been defined as such. Research on perceived "female" diseases has often been, until relatively recently, scarce.

One statistic which I have heard (and cannot cite, so take it as you will) is that as high as eighty percent of female deaths attributed to lung cancer before 1930 were actually mestastized breast cancer -- doctors (almost exclusively male) couldn't tell the difference and/or didn't care. Gender bias in medicine is nothing new -- Harvard Medical (est. 1782) did not admit female students until after WWII; Yale Medical (est. 1810) did not have a female faculty member until 1961. Combine that with racial bias (the deadly "triple-negative" breast cancer tumor type is far more common in blacks and hispanics than in whites, white women are more likely to get breast cancer but black women are more likely to die from it), and you get a medical establishment which, until relatively recently, didn't care to spend its precious research dollars on "female" problems.

The Komen Foundation was founded in 1982 and IMHO deserves a great deal of the credit for the current level of breast cancer awareness. IIRC, you were also founded in 1982 -- you don't remember a time when breast cancer was underdiagnosed and under-treated. You don't remember a time when a double radical mastectomy was the first step after a cancer diagnosis, not the last resort.

Four Kitties
All of this. It's also what's led to the "sisterhood" mentality of breast cancer that some are decrying. It's only been withing *my* lifetime that women's medical treatment has come under scrutiny. Far too often complaints are written off as being "hormonal" or "all in our heads." There was an article in my local paper just a couple of years ago about women in the area who'd died or suffered serious disabilities because the ER had missed the fact that they were having heart attacks. It's only be recently that it's been common knowledge that women's symptoms present differently. The American Heart Association has started a big campaign to, yes, raise awareness of heart disease in women because it just isn't well known. Still. In 2010. So yea, I get that women start banding together in disease, it's kind of a self defense thing.

Gibbie