snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 07 December 2017, 04:51 PM

Throw Tomato How did you find out that Santa Claus was not real?

Maybe I should have put this in the NFBSK folder even though the subject's about as suggestive/sexy as a dirt pile.
Anyway, I stumbled onto the truth by 1)Accidentally stumbling on some Christmas presents that my parents didn't hide too well, and 2) Finding boxes near the trash can when I went to throw something away. One year I decided to test my theory: when I went to bed on Christmas Eve night, I lay awake and heard my parents tearing open boxes/packages. I was not disappointed, in fact finding out the truth answered some questions that I'd had such as how anyone could get down a chimney and how such a huge sack of toys could be piled onto a sleigh. Not the mention the whole flying reindeer thing.
I'm trying to remember how old I was when my theory was confirmed; I might have been about 10-11.
Old 07 December 2017, 04:53 PM

Icon06

This thread. You had to have known someone was going to do that.
Old 07 December 2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
DawnStorm, now look what you've done! Don't worry, GenYus234, DawnStorm is just making a joke. There really is a Santa

With regard to the topic, I never had a revelation moment. Instead, it was something that I realized over time (probably around 8 or 9 years old). I do remember being chastised by my mother after telling my little brother that there was no Santa Claus.

Ta ra 'wan,

Ieuan "Everyone knows that there's no such thing as a sanity clause" ab Arthur
Old 07 December 2017, 05:40 PM

I had two older brothers and I'm certain they would not have let me believe for too long. I would guess that as soon as they figured it out, they made sure I knew as well. I was very young when it happened and since my parents behaved exactly the same when we knew as they did before we knew it didn't really matter.
Old 07 December 2017, 06:20 PM

I honestly don't remember how I found out. Maybe from other kids at school? Or maybe I just sort realized on my own that it would be impossible for anyone to do what Santa Claus is said to do.
Old 07 December 2017, 06:25 PM

I don't remember a specific way or time when I found out. I knew presents supposedly from "Santa" often had my mother's handwriting on the gift tag, but sometimes I'd get a mystery package with handwriting I didn't know. But I think it was sort of a gradual realization.
Old 28 December 2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm With GenYus. You mean he's NOT real?

For me, I remember it being plainly obvious when I was exploring around the house (I hunted a lot when I was a kid) and I found my presents (the bigger ones at least) under my parent's bed. I still remember it being a Lego Castle (I loved Lego too) and Mario Paint for the SNES. I kinda already knew it wasn't a thing by then but finding presents spoiled the whole thing and I had to pretend until my parents felt I was old enough to start getting presents for them and my brother.