snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Disney

Old 02 May 2007, 02:02 PM

Icon23 WDW turkey = emu

Comment: Evidently this has been an internet rumor for a while, but I
recently heard that the smoked turkey legs that are sold at Disney aren't
actually turkey, but it's emu. I wouldn't think that Emu would be
cost-efficient, but it would explain the size!
Old 02 May 2007, 02:08 PM

Not true. It is actual turkey leg. Unfortunately, they grow the turkeys to be so large, that, IIRC, the rest of the body isn't very tasty.

(Snopes, I'll find a cite for you if you care to post it)
Old 02 May 2007, 02:17 PM

Icon102

Been many years since I was at WDW and I don't remember how big their turkey legs are. I think I'm safe in saying, though, that if they were emu legs you wouldn't be able to lift them. You ever seen an emu? These are big damn birds - close to ostriches in size. They got some serious gams on them. I don't think that you'd want to try to make a meal of one. I have some pictures at home I'll look for to scan in of me next to an emu to give you a better idea of scale.

Ali "cheer up, Emu Kid" Baba
Old 02 May 2007, 02:53 PM
Doug4.7

Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBaba View Post
I think I'm safe in saying, though, that if they were emu legs you wouldn't be able to lift them.
If those are emu legs, then they are midget emus....

Oh, never thought of this one.... maybe they are baby emu legs. Sorta like veal in bird form.
Old 02 May 2007, 03:58 PM
KathyB

A picture of two guys eating turkey legs at WDW.

One emu farm says their legs average 3.2kg (7 pounds). Most emu farms say that the drumstick is too tough for anything except ground meat. The US National Turkey Federation says for drumsticks "Typical product weight = approximately 3/4 to 1 1/2 pounds each" (.3 to .6 kg). Even if those Disney legs run two or three pounds, they still aren't as big as an emu leg.

I couldn't find what I wanted with a quick search, so I'm letting it go, but basically, outfits that make things like frozen meals, turkey soup, and the like want very large turkeys for processing, usually with lots of white meat, as that is what the customer wants. Legs, etc. go into commercial broths and soup bases. Wings, tails, and other bits that aren't worth processing on a commercial scale may be sold to specialty markets. A market near me sells massive frozen turkey wings--if you roasted them, one would probably serve two people. The wings are rather tough, but extremely flavorful and I use them to make stock.
Old 02 May 2007, 04:55 PM

So far, the information I've found doesn't say a lot. A friend of mine that worked in quick service food and beverage says they most certainly are turkey. And one must also consider that purposely mislabeling a product is against the law. I'll keep searching, though.

ETA: When googling, all I've found is anecdotal, from many, MANY message boards.

Last edited by Mickey is a gyrl; 02 May 2007 at 05:00 PM. Reason: continuing search
Old 03 May 2007, 04:35 AM
bjohn13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
A picture of two guys eating turkey legs at WDW.
Compared to the turkey legs I've eaten, those appear to be about average size.

Unless, of course, those kids are toddlers.
Old 02 May 2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBaba View Post
Been many years since I was at WDW and I don't remember how big their turkey legs are. I think I'm safe in saying, though, that if they were emu legs you wouldn't be able to lift them. You ever seen an emu? These are big damn birds - close to ostriches in size. They got some serious gams on them. I don't think that you'd want to try to make a meal of one. I have some pictures at home I'll look for to scan in of me next to an emu to give you a better idea of scale.

Ali "cheer up, Emu Kid" Baba
Not to be too persnickety...but emus and ostriches are quite a bit different in size-I've worked with both.

Emus from ground to the top of their head are about as tall as the average person, a little shorter actually-say 5 foot-ish

Ostriches are about as tall from the ground to their BACK as the average person, then add a couple of feet for neck- I'd guess about 7-8 feet total.

But your main point stands, the drumsticks on both would be huge.
Old 02 May 2007, 09:34 PM

My cousin tried to start a business selling smoked turkey legs. There are lots available fairly inexpensively, for the reasons that KathyB cites. The legs that he was smoking were comparable in size to the ones in the WDW pic.

His business never got off of the ground because he was planning for mobile carts and trailers for festivals, but the convoluted Canadian health regulations were too much.
Old 03 May 2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnejanet View Post
The legs that he was smoking were comparable in size to the ones in the WDW pic.
*trying to think of a good dope joke here* Oh heck, can't come up with anything. Musta been the beef jerky I lit up earlier.

Yeah, I know.
Old 03 May 2007, 05:12 AM

The first time I heard this, it was an inside joke on usenet (rec.arts.disney.parks) similar to the Austria/Australia joke on alt.folkore.urban. This was at least 10 years ago when I first read it on RADP. It started as a joke and then was spread by newbies on RADP who then posted it as fact on some of the Disney discussion boards. There was even a travel channel "behind the scenes at WDW" show that mentioned the "emu" story and then debunked it.
Old 02 May 2007, 02:34 PM

Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey is a gyrl View Post
Not true. It is actual turkey leg. Unfortunately, they grow the turkeys to be so large, that, IIRC, the rest of the body isn't very tasty.

(Snopes, I'll find a cite for you if you care to post it)
Sure, just post it here.

- snopes
Old 19 October 2011, 09:05 PM

Default Turkey legs at Disney

Could've sworn this was on the main page, but can't find it.

Ok, remember how there was that UL going around that the turkey legs at the Disney parks were actually ostrich legs? But it's ridiculous, if you've ever actually seen an ostrich, because their drumsticks are the size of a large beagle?

A commenter on Jezebel is swearing right now that they're actually emu legs. I've worked with emus, and still think their legs are a bit bigger than the turkey legs served at parks, but she's saying that she works at the emu farm near WDW.

Anyone know?

ETA: ok, found the old thread on google.....
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=8014

We WERE discussing emus, not ostriches. I wonder if this girl works at an emu farm and just THINKS the meat is going to Disney.

Last edited by mouse goddess; 19 October 2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 19 October 2011, 09:54 PM

Wow. It would have to be a very small emu. And emu is like 4 times as expensive as turkey.

Maybe they do sell the meat to Disney, where it is sold as emu?
Old 19 October 2011, 10:24 PM

Chicken

It doesn't seem to be on their most recent menu, but I read a review of the Artist Point Restaurant at Disney's Wilderness Lodge that mentioned one of their offerings was emu.
Old 20 October 2011, 12:38 PM

But who would want to eat meat from an animal that has had a screeching man's hand up its bum?
Old 20 October 2011, 10:20 PM

Even if the size wasn't a giveaway, having eaten ostrich I have serious doubts about the ability of anyone to mistake emu and turkey meat. The Fuddruckers hamburger chain occasionally carries ostrich burgers- ostrich meat tastes more like beef than chicken or turkey.