snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 06 August 2007, 11:12 PM

Icon09 Guinness mistake

Comment: Found this in a forum that I read. The Web site's format has changed, so I can't be sure if it's true or not.

Old 06 August 2007, 11:18 PM

I don't see the big deal. Lots of sites probably have a spelling error or two somewhere. People notice them, and let the webaster know so it gets changed.
Old 06 August 2007, 11:21 PM

I suspect the comment is in reference to the "break this record" that is circled.
Old 06 August 2007, 11:25 PM

Even though diddy seemed to miss the point, I will second the "big deal" if this is true. It looks like something that could happen, a World Record site uses a general format for all of it's stories so that they can just type in the article, and occasionally records that no one would like to break or that are in poor taste might show up making some of the pre-formatted stuff out of place.
Old 06 August 2007, 11:30 PM

Break the record for most individuals killed in a terrorist act? No problem, lemme get right on that.
Old 06 August 2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post
Even though diddy seemed to miss the point, I will second the "big deal" if this is true. It looks like something that could happen, a World Record site uses a general format for all of it's stories so that they can just type in the article, and occasionally records that no one would like to break or that are in poor taste might show up making some of the pre-formatted stuff out of place.
Its a bit like some of the ads that pop up if you google things like 'Anthrax' or 'Nuclear Weapons.'

(Or rather used to with Anthrax, they seem to have improved their automated systems a bit. Nuclear weapons isn't doing it at the moment either.)
Old 06 August 2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post
Your right. I did miss it. I probably should have turned the whole association portion of my brain on. I still see nothing wrong with it since its a standard layout. I think that Guiness has a disclaimer that urges people not to break the law in the attempt to break records.

I see it as a funny coincidence and nothing more
Old 06 August 2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

I see it as a funny coincidence and nothing more

Me too, but I have to ask- what spelling error?
Old 06 August 2007, 11:29 PM
deftonesmo

Default =)

It's true . . . I remember seeing some web postings a while ago . . . you can google "Guinness World Records Terrorist Attack" and you'll get some hits . . .