View Single Post
Old 01 October 2015, 07:17 PM

Reading

Also in September I read The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett. It was a lot better than Raising Steam - perhaps he rushed that one because he knew he didn't have much time to get to this, and he obviously thought this would be a good final book. I'm glad he went out on a relative high note. There's a note from the editor saying that Pratchett would probably have filled in more parts in the middle if there had been time - there's not really enough about the elvish invasion to build up a proper sense of peril before the ending - but it's a finished book, more so than Raising Steam I think, and up to standard.

I read the first volume of collected Sandman comics by Neil Gaiman. My brother gave me the first four for my birthday because I'd never read them. Pretty good.

And I read a book of short stories by Stella Gibbons, Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm. If you like Stella Gibbons because of Cold Comfort Farm (which is great) I'd recommend that you don't read this! There are a couple of reasonable stories - I liked the one about the party, Tame Wild Party - but most of them are very much "of their time" and the general theme is that women are just getting enough freedom to discover that, after all, what they really want from life is a man, a baby and the occasional good hard slap from their alcoholic partner to sort them out...

I'm still reading Les MisÚrables - a bit more than half-way, and it's a lot more readable than I thought it was going to be. And I'm reading a book about King Oswald of Northumbria, called The King in the North by Max Adams. It's rather interesting. Apparently he's the guy that Aragorn in Lord of the Rings was based on. I don't know early seventh-century history that well, and what I do know tends to be from a southern Anglo-Saxon perspective, whereas although Oswald is Anglo-Saxon, this is up north and there are still British kingdoms like Strathclyde or Rheged and Scottish ones like Dal Riata involved. Northumbria as it was under Oswald is a unification of Deira, Bernicia and Elmet. A lot of this is new to me, so I am enjoying it.