Thread: Hell
View Single Post
Old 30 April 2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks, hambubba and Tom o' Bedlam.

To amplify a bit on the difference between fiction and lies: good fiction tells the truth, though it does so in the form of a lie. I was thinking of a quote from Ursula Kroeber LeGuin, and found it (or at any rate one of them; she's written multiple places on the subject):

http://theliterarylink.com/leguinintro.html

Quote:
"The truth against the world!" - Yes. Certainly. Fiction writers, at least in their braver moments, do desire the truth: to know it, speak it, serve it. But they go about it in a peculiar and devious way, which consists in inventing persons, places, and events which never did and never will exist or occur, and telling about these fictions in detail and at length and with a great deal of emotion, and then when they are done writing down this pack of lies, they say, There! That's the truth!
ETA: maybe it's clearer what she means by that if I add this additional bit; though I think the whole piece is worth reading.

Quote:
In reading a novel, any novel, we have to know perfectly well that the whole thing is nonsense, and then, while reading, believe every word of it. Finally, when we're done with it, we may find - if it's a good novel - that we're a bit different from what we were before we read it