View Single Post
Old 20 February 2016, 07:29 AM

Cell Phone

"Apple: We tried to help FBI terror probe, but someone changed iCloud password" Ars Technica 19 February 2016:
Quote:
On Friday, an Apple executive explicitly confirmed what was stated in a government court filing earlier in the day: that in the early hours of the San Bernardino terrorism investigation, county officials may have inadvertently compromised their ability to access the data on the seized iPhone 5C.

{ snip }

Apple suggested that the FBI take the iPhone 5C, plug it into a wall, connect it to a known Wi-Fi network and leave it overnight. The FBI took the phone to the San Bernardino County Health Department, where Farook worked prior to the December 2, 2015 attack.

When that attempt did not work, Apple was mystified, but soon found out that the Apple ID account password had been changed shortly after the phone was in the custody of law enforcement, possibly by someone from the county health department. With no way to enter the new password on the locked phone, even attempting an auto-backup was impossible. Had this iCloud auto-backup method actually functioned, Apple would have been easily able to assist the FBI with its investigation.
I found this quote quite chilling:
Quote:
The Apple executive also made a point of saying that no other government—not even China or Russia—has ever asked what American prosecutors have asked the company to do this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
McAfee will break iPhone crypto for FBI in 3 weeks or eat shoe on live TV

In an op-ed for Business Insider titled "I'll decrypt the San Bernardino phone free of charge so Apple doesn't need to place a back door on its product," libertarian presidential candidate and former antivirus developer John McAfee waded into the ongoing battle of words between Apple and the FBI with some choice words of his own.
While John McAfee is a bit of a kook, to put it mildly, he does have a valid point here, I think, when he says he and his team will primarily use social engineering. For example, during the infamous leak of celebrity nudes in 2014 it turned out that the hackers used social engineering and did not hack Apple's iCloud service as many had originally thought.
Quote:
Naked photos of Jennifer Lawrence and dozens of other celebrities were hacked from their Apple devices with the aid of phishing, according to a source familiar with the investigation.
However, my gut feeling is that even if they access the phone's data they won't find anything useful since I can't believe Farook would have been that careless. I think the FBI is setting a dangerous precedent for a remote chance to gather useful data.

Brian