View Single Post
Old 24 February 2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana M View Post
I have a doctoral degree and never, not in any class at the University level, was attendance taken. The attitude was that it was up to you to take advantage of the instruction offered or, conversely, to fail a course. If a professor didn't show up, most of us would head to the library to work on essays or projects and someone would leave a note on the board. It didn't happen often, but it did happen.
I don't have a doctoral degree, only a lowly BA from a huge state University, but in the late 1980s I can't remember a class that had any kind of attendance.

A fair number were held in large, theater-size lecture halls where attendance would have taken more time than the class was allotted. Some small group settings like labs or Tuesday-and-Thursday small sessions with TAs might have been awkward if you hadn't been regularly attending, I seem to recall there were some physics labs that spanned multiple days.

I think the people running the classes figured that absenteeism was its own punishment -- missed class notes, missed clues on assignments, etc, plus I doubt any of them wanted to waste time on attendance. It's kind of a burdensome bureaucratic task.

I always figured just showing up was the easiest part of the whole experience. The only time it wasn't was a class on ancient Indian art a long way from my dorm at 8 AM one very cold winter.