View Single Post
Old 27 March 2008, 06:23 PM
Sly Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
That, and the unnecessary vitriol. And, of course, the irony of a poster making a false claim about someone in order to decry her as a liar, and then being deeply wounded when it is pointed out that people in glass houses have certain vulnerabilities.
To set the record straight:
From MediaMatters-
Summary: Dick Morris falsely claimed that Sen. Hillary Clinton "says Chelsea [Clinton] was in danger on 9-11, jogging around the towers of the World Trade Center and was saved only 'cause she ducked into a coffee shop." In fact, Hillary Clinton made no such claim; rather, she said that her daughter had "gone, what she thought would be just a great jog. She was going to go down to Battery Park, she was going to go around the towers. She went to get a cup of coffee and -- and that's when the plane hit."

and
On the May 24 edition of CNN's The Situation Room, Buchanan claimed that Clinton, following 9-11, "went on national television and fabricated where her daughter was, talked about how her daughter [was] out jogging that morning and stopped near the towers, heard the planes crash. You could imagine how traumatic that would be for this young woman, and we all feel enormous compassion." Buchanan continued: "It was fabricated. It was all made up. Chelsea herself says she never left the apartment that morning. And so what kind of character would get on national -- a mother would get on national TV and make up stories about her daughter?"

So, it turns out that Hillary did not say Chelsea had been in the WTC. I was wrong but that doesn't make me a liar. And it doesn't mean Hillary didn't lie about Chelsea and what she experienced on 9/11. Even those who debunked Morris' and Buchanan's lies point out that Hillary said Chelsea was in a coffee shop when the first plane struck and heard the explosion. Chelsea, on the other hand, said she was home and was contacted by a friend who told her what had happened. So she still lied about it, but she told a different lie than the one I credited her with. And she lied about being under sniper fire.