View Single Post
Old 24 February 2018, 02:58 AM

Blimey, I've picked lots of posts to reply to...

Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
[D]o the British Isles not have the beverage Americans call lemonade at all? (Lemon juice, sugar, water - no fizz.)
We do have it, but it's not a "tradition" as such. Maybe in an Enid Blyton book, if somebody mentioned lemonade this might be what they meant - I'm not sure. They could equally have meant the fizzy variety. But the type you mention is not a big thing here. (There's been some growth in "traditional" - labelled as such - lemonades in the last few years, but they're not necessarily any more as you would mean than the others. They're cloudy, but still usually fizzy and sweet and bottled by big drinks companies).

I mentioned the TV programme Detectorists in the "What shows are you watching?" thread recently, and Crius of CoH has also been watching it. That has a good recurring joke about lemonade in it, which partly plays on the different perceptions of home-made lemonade against the sort we in the UK would usually expect. I had some home-made lemonade in Romania last year, and it had much the same effect on me as Sheila's lemonade has on the other characters in Detectorists.

Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
About pep rallies, before a big football (soccer) match, do the fans get together and do cheers? Or before say the big rowing match between colleges or universities?
No. At least, not if "before" means on days before the event itself. I used to row, and I still go to watch rowing events (I'll be going to the 2018 University boat race with friends next month for the first time in years, but I've been to lots of others such as Henley and the Head of the River in between). I've never been to, or heard of, an event that's specifically been to cheer people on, when there hasn't been an actual race about to happen. The concept doesn't really make sense to me.

Originally Posted by Errata View Post
I think a reasonably close UK analogue to "preppy" might be "rah". It's not 100% the same. The UK version focuses a little more on inherited wealth, while the US version focuses a little more on people who try hard in school.

The UK analogue to "pep" is "pep", though you may not find yourself needing to use the word as often.
I'd been trying to think of equivalents before your comment, and the nearest I'd come up with was "Hooray Henry", which isn't quite the same. "Rah" is a good one too, though. Neither has exactly the same connotations, and one reason for that which I'd not known until just now is that your school system isn't the same. I realised this from your next post:

Originally Posted by Errata View Post
TThe etymology of "prep" isn't an arbitrary designation. It's literally just an abbreviation of "university preparatory school".
... We have prep schools in the UK too, but they're preparing people for public secondary schools, not for university. A traditional prep school in the UK is a private school that would take pupils from eight to thirteen, before they went on to a public school. So one reason that we don't have the same "preppy" stereotype is that it would, in the past at least, have been almost taken for granted that public figures would have been to a prep school at some point. This was less the case when I was growing up, but seems to have come back again since then.

Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
*I have the impression that what's called a "private school" in the USA is called a "public school" in England.
You are correct, although I've been trying to use "private school" rather than "public school" for a long time on the boards, ever since I realised that it meant the opposite in the USA. There's a historic reason why fee-paying schools are called "public schools" in the UK, but I can't remember it - I think it's basically just that; they were open to anybody who could pay the fee, which was better at the time than being open only to people who had the right connections.

Either way, you're right, a public school in the UK is what you'd call a "private school". "Private school" doesn't mean anything in particular here, which is why I was free to try to use it to remove the ambiguity. Our version of your "public school" is a state school.

These days, "public schools" (in UK terms) are usually called independent schools or fee-paying schools. Things have been further complicated lately by recent Conservative governments allowing "free schools", which are "free" in the sense that they're not regulated by local authorities, but they're also privately run, so they're not state schools in the sense I'm used to. The Conservatives have essentially been trying to screw up our education system for reasons I don't understand, and these terms have become less clear than they used to be.