View Single Post
Old 09 June 2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
This is more in response to the post you were responding to because I haven't looked closely at their photos to see if what you're saying is true. Bones continue to increase in density and thickness (slowly) for a long time after they've stopped growing in length. So many people have noticeably thicker skulls and bones in their 40s than in their 20s. As I said, I don't know if the growth you're talking about was unusually late or pronounced but I wanted to dispell the idea that bones necessarily stop thickening in the teens or early twenties. (Bones also grow thicker with use. Maybe Bonds has been breakdancing a lot!)
It's very, very pronounced with Bonds and I am not aware of any particular baseball usage that would cause them to get thicker with "use". One should also point out that a. we know with virtual certainty that Bonds *did* use HGH and steroids for several years thanks to Game of Shadows, and in addition the guys who we know with absolute certainty that they used these (because they said so) also exhibit this cranial explosion (see Canseco, Jose, and Caminiti, Ken).

It's a way of pointing out the obviousness of this to people without making them read the book. Yes, I know that peoples' skulls can thicken over time... but the way the Bonds' has? I doubt that that happens terribly often IRL.

http://tjp.myweb.uga.edu/bonds.htm

I link to this because it shows the differences in Bonds' head size. As you can see, it's pretty much the same size and shape right up until 1998-2001, when it just balloons. Does that look like the product of aging to you? Perhaps someone who knows something about cranial physiology can clarify but at this point, particularly with what we know about "the cream and the clear", citing HGH instead of natural aging as the reason for the expansion is the path of least resistance.