View Single Post
Old 10 August 2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
...not necessarily someone to change the tire...
But this is what they say people call for. Not, "It's 3:00 and I'm stuck at Third and Mclemore by myself," but instead, "Please send someone out to change my tire" or "Please send someone to tow my car to the repair shop" or "Please send someone to come pick me up and take me home" or even "I'm drunk and can't drive and I need a ride home."

I don't know about other cities, but here, 911 does not provide any type of service like that. To have a tire changed, you call a tow truck or a repair shop. To get a ride home, you call a friend or a taxi. IIRC, the local police aren't allowed to give "rides." If an officer has come to the scene for some reason, they will usually wait with you, but they won't take you anywhere.

Quote:
A woman calling 999 to ask how long she should cook her turkey - she was worried about poisoning her family
We have a local service you can call for stuff like that. I can't remember what it's called, but it's provided by the County Library system. You can call and ask them just about anything.

ETA: just remembered, it's called LINC. Library INformation Center. They will answer just about any question you have, and if they don't know, they will actually go look it up (I assume now they look it up on the internet). IIRC, it's only available 9-5 or whatever time the library is open.

Last edited by robbiev; 10 August 2007 at 05:54 AM.