View Single Post
Old 25 April 2017, 03:26 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The Houston Comets won the first four championships--a feat never since equaled--in the history of what sports organization?
Well, never since implies that this is an ongoing organization, and that it's possible to do better. I'm going to say the WNBA.
Quote:

2. What's the common name for Na2B4O710H2O, a crystalline salt sometimes associated with mules?
Hmmm. Gotta be 20-mule team Borax(o). I'm old enough to remember those commercials.
Quote:

3. What two modern nations, separated by Cote d'Ivoire, may both take their names from the same West African medieval trading city?
I feel as if I should know this. Sadly, I don't know enough African nations to answer, but I'll say Zamibia and Zimbabwe, just for the heck of it. ETA: I think musicgeek's got this one.
Quote:

4. What tempo marking is famously used for the second movement of Samuel Barber's String Quarter in B Minor?
Not famous enough, as far as I'm concerned. Let's say 128/64.
Quote:

5. Give the more famous epithet for His Holiness Pius XIII.
Was he the last anti-pope? ETA: Richard, the city you're groping for is Avignon.
Quote:

6. Stacey Koon, Laurence Powell, Timothy Wind, and Theodore Briseno were the four men who went on trial in 1992 for an incident involving what man?
Dan Rather. What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "The Ballad of the Green Berets," "The Bare Necessities," "Big Ole Brew," "Blow the Man Down, "Do Wah Diddy Diddy," "The Internationale," "More Than This," "Shelter from the Storm," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding."
You mean, other than the fact that for once, I've heard of all of them? Well, it can't be that they were hits for people not known as singers, or that they were the theme songs for movies that took their titles from the songs, or that they involve whistling. I guess I'll admit I don't know.

Woo-hoo, I think I might have gotten 2 right this week!

Seaboe