View Single Post
Old 05 November 2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
This. It seems that many people may have turned a blind eye to certain behavior due to the power of the predator. We've spent the last 15+ years saying, "see something, say something" for terrorism and we need to do this when we hear or see harassment.
Just jumping off from this. I've seen some criticism that seemed to be leveled at anyone who knew anything about what Weinstein was doing, for not saying anything. I think that issue can be complicated for some of the people who might have known something.

One issue is that there can be real repercussions for victims, regardless of who reports. There can be a lot of considerations, which can include legitimate, "it's not my story to tell" concerns. And, as mentioned above, people who don't go along with it can also catch a lot of flack--that goes for people who are not the direct victims of the assaults as well. In particular, women who see this stuff happening but are not direct victims of assaults or quid pro quo harassment are still getting a strong message, and can be victims of the hostile work environment that is created. And if you know that the organization itself is covering up, the highest levels know and don't take action, and there are public jokes about the whole system in which it is often the victims who are shamed (I.e., she got the part from her performance on the casting couch), I can understand people not thinking it would have any effect besides costing them their careers to report something.

I think the change that needs to happen involves changes at many levels, and the most important part is about how reports are received and what the response is. Creating an environment where victims feel safe is extremely important, and can mean that non victims don't report everything, every time they learn something.