View Single Post
Old 03 July 2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
No, Mr. Trump, crime in Germany isn't "way up"!

In fact, the crime rate has fallen by 10 percent in 2017 to the lowest figures in more than 25 years.

http://www.dw.com/en/donald-trump-cl...ion/a-44277845
According to something I heard on NPR last year, apparently conservative media, Breitbart in particular, have been citing a statistics from German law enforcement that include the "crime" of entering Germany without a visa in their numbers. So that's probably where Trump got the idea. Of course that's not the sort of crime people imagine when you just say "crime is way up" while omitting the details about exactly what offenses you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I was thinking along the lines of the guy who found one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence in a picture he bought for $4. At no point in that story did I hear anything like it should belong to the thrift shop that sold the frame. You certainly can't say you reasonably purchased that for $4, when it would auction for a million. Any ideas as to what the difference is?
If I had to guess, the difference might be that neither the thrift store nor the person who donated the frame knew that it was there, so they had no expectation of being able to go to the purchaser and ask for it back. Whereas in the case of the dresser with the money in it, the seller presumably knew the money was there (because he put it there) and therefore had the right to ask for it back.

What I'm curious about is if there's some lower limit to the amount that one is obligated to return. If I buy a used car and the seller leaves a couple of dollars worth of change in the cup holder surely I'm not expected to go through a lot of effort to return that, am I? What if I buy a cheap used car for $1000 and while cleaning it out I discover a $100 bill wadded up in the ash tray? That's not a huge sum of money, but it is 10% of the price of the car.