View Single Post
Old 19 June 2013, 11:35 PM

Since the charge was Obstructing and officer rather than for what he wore. I look up the laws for the State of West Virginia (hoping I got the right one).

61-5-17. Obstructing officer; fleeing from officer; making false statements to officer; penalties; definitions.

(a) Any person who by threats, menaces, acts or otherwise, forcibly or illegally hinders or obstructs, or attempts to hinder or obstruct, any law-enforcement officer, probation officer or parole officer acting in his or her official capacity is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $500 or confined in jail not more than one year, or both fined and confined.
Is talking to much really and obstruction unless the official capacity requires other people to hear and understand them. I think the officer could have better handled the nosy teen without charges. I suspect that the most he would have gotten was the $50 fine after talking to the judge. But since he has proven that he can not keep his mouth shut and let a judge decide. I think the fine should be $500 now.

In my experience, you shut up and let the officer do his/her job whether you agree or not even if being arrested because you refuse to do as they say. Then let the judge do their work in deciding your guilt or innocents. Then if the officers screwed up badly enough you think about suing to make changes and be compensated for you time and troubles.