View Single Post
Old 17 December 2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post

If you've got enough leave in the first place, you don't need to pretend to be ill in order to take a day off here and there. In companies that I've worked in, people tend to have the opposite problem - it's the days of untaken leave that accumulate, rather than what you call "sick days". There are policies about not carrying over too much leave here, as well.

Keep in mind, at least on the US Federal government civilian employee side, we have two types of leave to be discussed here - annual leave and sick leave. There are a few other types which broaden this, but isn't of any concern to this specific discussion.

Annual leave is generally earned at the rate of four hours per two week pay period from the start of employment to the three year point, then AL is six hours per pay period until the 15 year point, then eight hours per pay period.

Annual leave carrryover is usually capped at 240 hours, that is any AL on the book over 240 hours is lost at the beginning of the new leave year.

Sick leave is four hours per pay period with no carryover cap.

Quote:
But, as Hans says, the idea of sick days, and sick pay, is that you can take them when you're genuinely ill. There's a degree of proof involved, but it's supposed to protect you when you can't work for one reason or another.
Understood and that is the concept within the Federal government. Generally, supervisors aren't going to ask for a lot of documentation for one or two days use of SL, especially if the supervisor can tell the employee has a cold or similar URI issues.

Quote:
It relies on employees not taking the piss, you're right, but most people don't - and if you're genuinely unable to come into work and need to take sick days for mental health reasons, those are proper sick days, to me, too. (I've very rarely taken a sick day on those grounds - maybe one or two in my career. In the past I've even, a couple of times in one particular job that I remember, taken hangovers as holiday later, after phoning in sick at the time, and the reasons for the hangovers were as close to mental health breaks as makes no difference, yet I didn't take them as sick days).

!
Generally the reason for SL documentation was to prevent abuse of the leave policy.

I can't discuss leave policies in the private sector, as it tends to vary widely.