Thread: Sous Vide
View Single Post
Old 03 August 2018, 03:30 PM

Icon23 Sous Vide

I did a search and did not get any returns, so maybe I'm the only one on the board trying this. Or maybe my search ability isn't great.

Anyway, I am attempting to sous vide a beef loin roast today. I was cleaning out the freezer and found a roast in there that I had basically forgotten. It has been in there since last November, so we decided we had best use it.

I also found a good deal on a sous vide circulator. I've been thinking about this for a while, so I decided to go for it. It arrived yesterday, so we are ready to start the cooking.

Last night, I uncovered the roast and sprinkled on some kosher salt. It sat overnight in the fridge. This morning, I put a dry rub on the meat, put it, some garlic and herbs in a bag, and put it in the pot. Found out quickly I had punctured the bag, so I got the meat out, dried everything off, and started again. This time, I double bagged it. The circulator was bringing the water up to temp (130 F), and I put the bag in. Just enough buoyancy from the bags that it was floating, so I put a spoon in between the two bags and it sank. Water up to temp, sealed bag sitting in the water, pot on the counter - everything is going.

And, now we wait. This is for lunch tomorrow. When it is done, I'll make some side dishes - it's sweet corn season here, so some of that, and whatever else looks good when I hit the farm tonight. Then I'll get a pan smoking hot and sear the outside of the meat. I have no idea if this will be a disappointment, or a revelation.