View Single Post
Old 27 October 2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I am not an aircraft designer but I suspect the 737 that is used today has relatively little to do with the design from the 60's except for its basic size. The wings and tail are much different designs than what the engineers in the 60's came up with. So gosh, it isn't the same design as the original and the original really was designed by 60's era car designers versus 90's+ car designers for the current aircraft. The engines are separated by multiple generations. The original avionics have pretty much zero to do with the current avionics. I suspect that there isn't a single piece of a 60's era 737 that can be used on one built in the last 20 years. Heck even the seats of the 60's era can't be used in a current aircraft. So, the wings, tail, radio, engines, avionics, doors, main body struts, ... of the original were phased out years ago. The only thing the current 737 has in common with the original is the basic size and the "737".
Most of the that also applies to the original 747 compared to the 747-8. New wings, new engines, new avionics, and they are 19 feet longer overall, with an upper deck that is 23 feet longer than the original. Glass cockpit avionics replaced the original several versions previously, the current version has about 2/3 fewer dials, gauges and knobs than the original. Current versions can travel at Mach 8.55 compared to Mach 8.4 for the original due to changes in engines and aerodymanics. Body structure and landing gear have strengthened. Current airframes are rated for twice the lifespan of the original, they have more than 2000 miles longer range.

In other words, the only thing the current 747 has in common with the original is the "747" (they aren't even the same basic size).