View Single Post
Old 10 September 2015, 08:21 PM

Default We Are All Eichmann

In the hazy fog of my memories from highschool is a lesson that taught about the famous Eichmann trial in Jerusalem. According to my memory, there was a Jewish survivor brought to the stand to testify. He was expected to give a first hand account of the horror of the holocaust - a kind of victim impact statement, really - to thereby drive home Eichmann's guilt. Instead, having become aware of the universal depravity of humankind and realising that no single one of us is really that superior to another, he gives a heartfelt talk that ends with him tearfully exclaiming "we are all Eichmann".

I was thinking of that quote today, and was provoked to track it down, and was surprised at how hard it was. I can find references to a philosopher talking about how "we are all eichmann's sons" but it's not at all the quote or the context of my memory.

In fact, the only solid reference I can find to this quote being used in the way I was taught is... an archived post on this forum from 2005 written by me! Unfortunately I don't give my source.

The more I've looked into it though, the more it sounds very fake to me. Almost like glurge.

So how about it: did my highschool history teacher lead me astray, or is this a real quote and my google-fu just sucks?

thanks!