View Single Post
Old 23 March 2018, 04:35 PM

Baseball

I am a football fan and I am a qualified referee for the Canadian football game. While American Football and Canadian Football do look similar, there are some key differences in the game (and I'm glad the article referenced the "stable CFL"). And, what I think these guys are trying to do can be better achieved by modifying elements rather than eliminating them.

Quote:
Teams will start with possession at their own 25-yard line. While this does eliminate onside kick attempts, teams can try to keep possession after they score. That team will be given the ball at their own 35-yard line, and will be given a fourth-and-10 to begin the “drive.” If the team converts the fourth-and-10, then the team will keep possession. If not, then the other team will gain possession.
First, where does the ball start? 25 or 35 yard line? If teams can't get the 4th and 10 solved, action will always be within field goal range. Further, possibly just outside the red zone and one play from scoring. It is only if the team converts the 4th and 10 that the length of the field can be played.

I have a proposal a bit further down this reply.

Quote:
Another twist: There are no extra points. After scoring a touchdown, a team must attempt a two-point conversion, with the ball being snapped at the 2-yard line.
The CFL moved the point after line of scrimmage way back to eliminate the "automatic" feeling. The line of scrimmage moved from the 5 yard line to the 25 yard line while the 2 point convert moved from the 5 yard line to the 3 yard line. I know the NFL moved their line of scrimmage too.

What this did was add a significant challenge. Point after rates went from 99%+ to around 90%, but, the 2 point convert attempts went from ~1 per three games to 1-2 per game.

This brought in the challenge and excitement that was missing. Don't mess with what works.

Quote:
Namely, there will be no kickoffs.
I did not see anything on player safety in the article, and in my experience the kickoff and/or punt is not the most dangerous time for a player. However, if you are worried about player safety, kickoff and punt returns can be turned into a touch situation. To get the play ended on those plays, an opposing player must touch the player with the ball while in possession. I don't think it would be the greatest rule, but better than eliminating a key play.

What rules I would impose if I were running this league:

- score a touchdown, you kick off from your 35 yard line
- score a field goal, you kick off from your 25 yard line
- score a rouge, your opponent starts from their 35 yard line
- overtime is not sudden death, but each team gets to play a series from the 35 yard line until a touchdown is scored by one but not the other
- eliminate the radios in helmets. When players go on the field, they are only to communicate by voice and visual with the sidelines/upstairs. I know there is a point where comms get cut, but this means that the coaches on the side are doing far more than the quarterback to engineer a drive. I want to see the genius of a quarterback on the field, and the coach on the sidelines
- get rid of the rule allowing for QBs to throw the ball away. Purposefully throwing the ball into the sidelines when being chased by a defender should be a 5 or 10 yard penalty (my preferred would be scrimmage moved to the point of throwing, just as if he was sacked there). Either try to make a play or take a knee. None of this throwing it away because your O Line allowed too may defenders through
- And one for my personal preference, no coin toss. A football skill must be demonstrated and the winner of that skill gets to choose possession or position. And to make it challenging, it is fan vote by applause for what skill gets tested that game. By applause, farthest punt, fastest 40 yards, most accurate pass.

I love the game of football, but in this Alliance League I see some of the strategic elements of the game being removed, and I don't like it.