View Single Post
Old 06 June 2017, 09:38 AM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. In 1966, the French Academie des Beaux-Arts took ownership of a Giverny pond and garden once owned by what man?
That was the pond where Monet painted his famous water lilies.

2. In Cluedo, the original British version of Clue, two of the weapons had different names than they do in the U.S. game. Give the British name of either weapon.
In Cluedo, the knife is the "dagger," the wrench is the "spanner," and the botulism is the "steak and kidney pie." (The Simpsons episode 2F15, "Lisa's Wedding.")

3. Deinonychus, Diplodocus, Dracovenator, and Dilong are all scientific names for types of what?
They are dinosaurs. Well, were.

4. The Overlook Film Festival, held at Oregon's Timberline Lodge, screens movies in what genre?
Mount Hood's Timberline Lodge stood in for the Overlook Hotel in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, and the new film festival there celebrates horror movies.

5. On November 19, 1950 at 12:30 pm, the Chicago Historical Society celebrated a notable anniversary by displaying all five extant copies of what document?
That date was exactly eighty-seven--or "fourscore and seven"--years after November 19, 1863, the day Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address.

6. What show won the 1997 Tony for Best Musical, the same year a movie of the same title went on to win many awards as well?
Titanic, despite its success at the Tonys, went on to lose a lot of the money investors "sank" into it.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "Big Yellow Taxi," "House of the Rising Sun," "I Heard It Through the Grapevine," "I Saw Her Standing There," "Leaving on a Jet Plane," "Me and Bobby McGee," "Nothing Compares 2 U," "Please Mr. Postman," "This Guy's in Love with You."
Each is well-known in a cover version that has been altered to switch the gender of some part of the song's lyrics. For example, when John Denver sang "Leaving On a Jet Plane," he said, "When I come back, I'll bring your wedding ring." When Mary Travers of Peter, Paul, and Mary sang the same verse, she said, "I'll *wear* your wedding ring."

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In what country did the mojito and the daiquiri originate?

2. What retired major league pitcher uses a dead, upside-down bird as the logo for his new business as a photographer?

3. What is the smallest constellation in the night sky, not discovered by European astronomers until the 16th century?

4. Who is currently third in line to inherit the British throne?

5. In the 1968 trial of the Chicago Seven, the judge and the most celebrated defendant both shared what last name?

6. In Netflix's new TV hit, how many cassette tapes does Hannah Baker leave behind to explain her suicide?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? Chile, Cuba, Norway, The Gambia, Japan, Israel, Vietnam, Malawi, Myanmar, Togo.

Enjoy!