View Single Post
Old 09 October 2012, 01:47 AM

Yeah, those figures can be a bit overwhelming! Thankfully, most of the numbers can be ignored! They make a bit more sense when put with a training plan.
This was the original one that I did (I thought it was beginner, but it's actually intermediate):

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing...hedule/72.html

The figures to look out for are:
"Easy Runs" - Anywhere it says "Easy" on the plan
"Tempo Runs" or "Tempo Intervals" (They're very similar times) - Anywhere it says "Brisk" on the plan
"Recovery Jogs" - Anywhere it says "Recovery" on the plan

Most plans will have similar wording for the different types.

That's a shame about the outside running! Here in Vegas, I'm thinking that I'll be fine running through the whole winter. It's actually the summer that was a struggle (80+ degrees by 7am most days!). I'm hoping to reap the rewards when it cools down though.

ETA: When I started, I was also running to my max and thinking I'd improve that way. A friend told me that it wasn't a great way to improve. He said it generally tires you out too much to recover properly. You develop better at threshold runs (just enough to be a bit of effort, but not enough to fully tire you out), short quick intervals with recoveries to get your body used to speed, and easy ones to help with recovery.

Last edited by stalker; 09 October 2012 at 01:53 AM.