View Single Post
Old 31 August 2017, 05:54 PM

From my perspective the current cycle (and it does seem cyclic to me) began in the late 1990s. A number of these prescription drugs as jimmy101_again notes came to be prescribed for pain. Medical opinion, at that time, was that pain was being under-treated (Hence the 1-10 scale for describing your pain now.) Oxycontin and its relatives were described to doctors as being non-addictive.
First places where the abuse of these drugs became apparent was in more rural areas--southeastern Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Kentucky, Maine, and other places where workplace injuries led to prescriptions. Rudy Guiliani's firm represented the Oxycodone companies when it became clear that their product was addictive and main thing preventing them from being abused could be circumvented by grinding the pills and then snorting, ingesting them. Large settlements were made to states that sued.
However, as has already been described, once addicted, many people switched to illegal drugs. Despite the lawsuits, the pills kept coming. In West Virginia according to one reporter, enough to give everyone in the state 433 pills over a six year period. New lawsuits now ensue, and deaths from overdoses continue to rise.
It is going to be a long time before we see a downturn in this issue. Addiction is a terrible disease and while many people recover, the net result before that happens is pain--not just physical pain but also the anguish of family members.
I have taken to using social media to show obituaries where family members admit their loved one died from addiction ( and often tell of the love and interests which made them loved ). Not many of these are published, so the deaths go under the radar, everywhere.

Ali