View Single Post
Old 30 March 2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I've always felt a little sorry for most horses, since they are domesticated animals that are expected to behave submissively around any pretty much any one who uses them, rather than being the sole companion of a few loving owners. I've been around horses that were sweethearts, and yet they had had multiple homes before they were 3 years old, because of behaviors like choppy gaits or balkiness. If people rejected them because of these benign behaviors, what do you think happens to the animals with more severe behavior problems? Even the best horse can still get passed from owner to owner, because they are expensive to care for and yet, they still have some monetary value, especially when they are still young. It seems that it's a lucky few animals that get to spend their lives in loving homes with people who give them the care and training they deserve.
Indeed. Like most domestic animals, horses were domesticated because they were useful to humans. That didn't mean that we necessarily understood them. And one of the things that we failed to understand was that while they had been tamed, there was still a creature there with strong instincts that could never be entirely suppressed. Also, as with any living creature, you have to put in a lot to get something back. And I am not talking money, but a lot of time, a lot of patience a lot of knowledge, and the confidence to be the boss without being heavy-handed about it.

I admit that my only real experience with animals has been with cats, which a lot smaller and easier to handle than horses. We have adopted a couple of cats over the years that were abused in previous homes, and it takes a long time to bring them around. I suspect that horses are far, fare more difficult than a cat.