View Single Post
Old 13 July 2018, 11:04 PM

Dry aging means keeping it refrigerated within a specific temperature (32-40 F) and humidity range without a moisture barrier. This causes the meat to lose moisture, which concentrates the flavor, and it allows enzymes to work within the muscle, so that the meat becomes more tender. Meat enclosed in plastic is considered "wet aged," which does not have the same effects.

Aging for as little as a few days to a week is supposed to have noticable effects. A couple of weeks is probably the maximum I would do. Apparently once you go much past, say, 3 weeks, you start getting "earthy" flavors and smells, and I've heard longer-aged meat described as having some cheese-like smells. I'm not interested in going in that direction....

Dry aged meat is more expensive because of the process, but also because you wind up with less meat at the end of the aging. The meat gets a hard outer layer that has to be trimmed away (which is why you do it with large cuts) and you lose something like 20% of the weight due to moisture loss.