View Single Post
Old 10 September 2015, 10:45 AM

* Japan prevents the use of mobile phones in trains, restaurants and
indoors.

Uh, no. They're everywhere. Mobile culture is much, much larger there. They were doing things with cellphones we hadn't yet dreamed of early on.

* Even though one of the richest people in the world, the Japanese do not
have servants. The parents are responsible for the house and children.

Yes, because the Japanese maid isn't a thing. Exceedingly rich Japanese families have servants, same as most everywhere in the world and have for a long time considering they had an Emperor in more than name until the 1940's.

There is no examination from the first to the third primary level
because the goal of education is to instill concepts and character
building.

I SEVERELY doubt this given that would only give them three years to teach them everything they need to know and quiz them on it before THE exam. High School exams are no joke in Japan and they will kick your arse...repeatedly. Then there are college entrance exams which anyone who passes earns all respect from me.

* If you go to a buffet restaurant in Japan you will notice people only
eat as much as they need without any waste because food must not be
wasted.

Because they magically know how much they're going to eat? The human brain tends to be a jerk about things and makes you think you're more hungry then you are. I HIGHLY doubt the Japanese have a magic "I will eat this much and no more' button in their brains to change this.

What you are in fact seeing is smaller portion sizes and thus minimal waste.

* Children in schools brush their teeth (sterile) and clean their teeth
after a meal at school, teaching them to maintain their health from an
early age.

You cannot steralize your teeth without taking them out of your mouth and doing a bunch of things to them that would not be good for the teeth or your health. Japanese oral hygiene is not any better or worse then the rest of the developed world's.

The Japanese focus on maintaining their culture.

A LEETLE too much at times.

Not even going to touch the racist bits except to say that yes, Japan does has prejudices. They were a closed culture for quite a while and some of the effects still linger. However, many cultures are anti-whatever isn't them, so I'm not going to go beating a drum for them to change over night.

I find it interesting however, that this article reveals more about the author than it does the Japanese culture.