View Single Post
Old 17 March 2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
If someone donates a check, and specifically says "use this for the children's ward at X hospital in Calcutta," or "use this to buy food for people living on the street," and a representative of the order sends a thank you note stating that the money will be used for that, but instead, most of is is banked indefinitely, while the rest goes to the Vatican, to print pamphlets for the people who hand them out when they try to convince you to become Catholic, how the heck is that "doing good"?
I will say with a fair amount of certainty that the Vatican does more with the money than printing out conversion pamphlets. I think perhaps they even spend some of that money on charitable causes.

Quote:
That sounds like fraud, or even theft, to me. If the order has no intention of using the money has requested, then the order should inform the donor, and give the donor the opportunity to rescind the offer, in my opinion. At the very least, the order should send a generic thank you, and not promise that the money is being used according to the donor's wishes.
It's a gift to be used by the recipient in any way they see fit. Remember 9/11 and the Red Cross?