View Single Post
Old 22 June 2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
*Snicker*

Really, what money? The Confederacy was horrifically dependent on a single crop (cotton) for the majority of its income and at a serious disadvantage logistically during the war because of the Union's robust factories.
What you say is true, but a disproportionate amount of the revenue stream for the federal government leading up to the Civil War came from the South, via tariffs on imported manufactured goods. The federal government did not impose any personal taxes, like income taxes, sales taxes, etc. (when it tried during the war, the courts rejected those as unconstitutional). Most of the income was from tariffs (i.e. taxes on imports). The North, because it was developing an industrial base much faster than the South was, favored higher tariffs on manufactured goods. This both raised revenue and made northern manufactures more attractive economically to southern buyers than the imported goods from England (or was it the UK by then - I forget). As early as 1829, South Carolina had discussed secession in response to raised tariffs (there was no threat of abolition at this time). The tensions between north and south over the tariffs on 1829 led to a repeal in 1833. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati..._United_States
Still, in the 1850s, tariffs (identified in the linked chart as 'ad valorem taxes', which may include some other taxes, like excise taxes)were more than 80% of federal revenue, and since the south relied much more on imports and exports than the north did, this certainly was disproportionately from the South. Secession would have been a huge hit on federal revenues, even though the north's economy was roughly twice the size of the south's. http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/yearrev1855_0.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
This would be laughable if millions of Americans didn't believe this manure.
Cite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
This is not too far from some of the things I was taught growing up in the South. I have always been inquisitive and a fact checker, so I shook most of it off before I was too old, but a lot of people are taught stuff like this as gospel, and don't have the nature or the skills to shake it off.

(The stuff I was taught was more standard Lost Cause stuff, not quite as bad as this stuff).
Really? That's ... curious. I was raised in Alabama in 60s and 70s and none of this was taught. (ETA: Correction - there were some details listed above that were taught, such as that most of the southern fighters were poor farmboys who had not been in slave-owning families, and that there were some black Confederate soldiers. We discussed the tariff issues as part of the overall aggravation the South had with the North, as a source of secession sentiment - in addition to concerns about abolition being imposed by the faster-growing North. We discussed that a large percentage of the slave ships were run by New Englanders. But the vast, vast majority of the content above was not even touched upon.)

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 22 June 2015 at 02:41 PM.