View Single Post
Old 19 August 2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD65 View Post
Wow, the things you learn on Snopes...
I knew of Cornish and Devon Rex being hairless cats, but Sphinx, Peterbald, Donskoy, Kohana??! I'll be here for minutes looking them up on the 'Net.
Never heard of them. Ah well, it's raining outside, so I'm not going out to weed the garden anyway...
Cornish and Devon Rexes aren't hairless cats, they are "rex" cats which means curly-haired cats The cat breed is always spelled Sphynx, BTW, not Sphinx (breeders chose to spell it with a "y"). The Peterbald and the Ukrainian Levkoy were both developed from the Donskoy. The Kohana is also called the Hawaiian Hairless.

There's also the Mexican Hairless which went extinct in the early 20th century, but in the last couple of years there have been claims that the type resurfaced in Mexico in 2006. I've not seen any verification so far. There have been various other hairless and nearly hairless mutations around the world during the 20th Century. The Sphynx has also produced a rather pretty "powder puff" mutation, but that seems to have been a one-off.